The public are being advised of an 80% increase in callouts by pest controllers to deal with ants this summer.
Pest control provider, Rentokil says Dublin accounted for the most ant callouts last month (May) - with 25% of all callouts, with the remaining top four counties for ant callouts including Galway (16%), Tipperary (13%), Cork (11%), and Waterford (5%).
Ants are a common summertime pest. While they do not pose the same health threats as other pest insects, they can become a nuisance if an infestation goes untreated. If ants find a food source on a premises, they can lay down pheromones to attract other ants, which can rapidly turn a small infestation into a much large one.
Richard Faulkner, Advanced Technical Field Consultant with Rentokil said: “ A small ant problem can quickly become a much larger one. There are a number of steps which property owners can take to curb the presence of ants, but if in doubt, we would encourage anyone to seek the services of a professional pest control provider.”
Rentokil’s tips to prevent the presence of ants on your premises include:
- Clear up food and liquid spillages immediately.
- Sweep up any food crumbs from under your kitchen appliances and units.
- Store your food in airtight containers wherever possible.
- If you have a pet, clear away any food that isn’t eaten straight away.
- Block off entry points for ants by sealing all cracks and crevices around your doors and window frames.
- In the garden, keep your compost enclosed and make sure all rubbish bins have tightly sealed lids.
- People can find out more about ant infestations by visiting the Rentokil website.