Midwest Radio will be staging a two hour live broadcast at the Merry Monk on Thursday 26 May to launch the week long Mayo Manchester Home to Mayo Tradfest.
Tony Hennigan from Mayo Manchester commented “We are very grateful to Joe Lavelle from the Merry Monk for sponsoring the live broadcast to launch our week long celebration of Irish Music, Song and Dance in Mayo. The venue is one of the best venues in Mayo for supporting Traditional Irish Music in Mayo and we are delighted to have it as one of our official venues. The broadcast will go out live around the globe from 6pm to 8pm and it promises to be a night to remember.”
The fun starts at 6pm and will feature a host of Traditional Irish Music, Song and Dance which promises to be one of the highlights of the festival which features over 100 performers taking part in over 40 events in Ballina, Ashford Castle, Achill, Ballinrobe Races, Castlebar, Cong and Killala.
The evening which is free admission will be launched by Dara Calleary TD and will feature live performances by some of the acts in the Home to Mayo Gala Concert on Saturday 28 May at the Ballina Arts Centre and other Key events at the festival. Acts already confirmed include Traditional Irish Musicians from the Merry Monk weekly seisun, the award winning singers, Sina Theil, Dennis McCalmont and Teresa Marie Canavan along with the Fianna Phadraig Pipe Band and dancers from the Turley Duggan Irish Dance Academy.
There are 7 main events taking place in the 7 hubs of the festival which cover the North, South East and West of Mayo. They are listed below:
- Thursday 26 May at 1pm – Home to Mayo Tradfest event in Castlebar featuring Promenade Performance by the Fianna Phadraig Pipe Band in the Market Square in Castlebar, followed by a Parade to the Linen Hall Arts Centre
- Thursday 26 May 6pm-8pm – Home to Mayo Tradfest launch in Ballina featuring Live Broadcast by Midwest Radio at the Merry Monk in Ballina featuring a host of Irish Musicians, Singers and Dancers
- Friday 27 May at 6pm, Home to Mayo Tradfest event in Killala, this features a promenade performance by the Fianna Phadraig Pipe Band and performers from the award winning In Humberts Footsteps.
- Saturday 28 May at 7.30pm, Home to Mayo Gala Concert at the Ballina Arts Cente featuring The Turley Duggan Irish Dance Academy, Singers Dennis McCalmont, Tara Grady and Teresa Marie Canavan, Sean Nos Dancers from the Eimear Mulvey Dance School, the Fianna Phadraig Pipe Band and hosted by Alan Keegan from Manchester United Football Club. Tickets just 15 Euros Tel 09673593
- Sunday 29 May at 1pm, Home to Mayo Tradfest event on Achill Island celebrating 150 years of Irish Piping with the Dooagh Pipe Band and the Fianna Phadraig Pipe Band. Parade starts from Lourdies Pub and marches to Dooagh village.
- Monday 30 May at 5pm, Home to Mayo Tradfest event at the Ballinrobe Races, features promenade performances by the Fianna Phadraig Pipe Band and a host of Irish musicians plus a full evening of Races on one of the biggest tracks in Ireland.
- Tuesday 31 May, Home to May Tradfest Closing event at Ashford Castle at 1pm (for residents only) followed by a parade through Cong Village from 3pm for the general public