Thirteen projects in communities around county Mayo are to be funded under the Mayo County Council Decade of Centenaries Grant 2021.
Details of the projects were outlined today at Mayo County Council's Culture and Heritage SPC
The aim of the commemorative funding is to ensure that events are remembered at community level in a respectful, measured, inclusive and non-partisan manner that recognize the differing perspectives on our shared history. The projects to be supported are:
Tourmakeady (and the Neale):
- Collection, preservation and curating of memorabilia relating to the ambush
- Mapping of significant locations
- Virtual walk
- Information boards to be created
- Compliation and digitization of an oral history
- Series of educational webinars
- Educational programme with local schools
- Memorial garden at Srah
- Publication of a complete historical record of the events of the War of Independence in West Mayo
- Commemoration ceremony and launch of same
- Creation of a peaceful reflection garden by the Ballina Community Cleanup Group to commemorate local volunteer Michael Tolan. The garden, on the river Moy, will be planted with wildflower and overlooked by a painting by local artist Lesley Lacke.
- Creation of a website showcasing statements of local IRA volunteers – from the Military Service Pension files.
- Digitally mapping timelines and locations of events in the War of Independence and publication of a booklet on Cumann na mBan in the area.
- Ceremony and mass to commemorate The Carrakennedy Ambush
- Ceremony of commemoration for local volunteer Michael Coen
- A Memory of War – a film of remembrance and reconciliation by Kevin Toolis
- Publication of War of Independence supplements in The Connaught Telegraph (May) and The Western People (June) newspapers.
- The Tan War in Ballovey, South Mayo by Ultan Lally
- The Story of the Erris War of Independence by Tom Gruddy
The grants are supported by the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media under the Decade of Centenaries 2012-2023 initiative.