Mayo has been allocated just under €780,000 under the Disabled Persons Grant Scheme and the Improvement Works in Lieu of Local Authority Housing Scheme.
Government funding meets 90% of the cost of the works in each property, with the local authority providing the remaining 10%, meaning Mayo County Council contributed €77,960 to the fund.
The DPG scheme allows for adaptations to social housing units for older people and people with a disability; such as grab rails, disabled access ramps, wet rooms and downstairs bedrooms.
This funding will be used to adapt 69 units across Mayo, as well as extending five units, and improvement works on two units.
The IWILs allows local authorities to improve or extend privately owned accommodation, where the applicant has been approved for social housing, with 76 homes across Mayo benefitting.
Fine Gael Deputy Alan Dillon told Midwest News that this will make a real difference to older people and those with a disability.