It’s intolerable and beggars belief that the Mayor of Galway City and his family have had a series of violent threats made against them over recent months.
That’s the view of the Deputy Mayor of the city, Independent councillor, Colette Connolly.
Mayor Mike Cubbard was last night offered the full support of his elected colleagues and management of Galway city council at the monthly meeting of Galway city council.
Mayor Cubbard announced last week that he would be stepping back from public life for a short period, as a Garda investigation is underway regarding the recent threats.
Mayor Cubbard told Midwest News last Friday that in a recent written threat against him and his family, he was warned they would be burned out of their home.
At yesterday evening’s meeting of Galway City Council, the deputy Mayor offered her absolute support to Mike Cubbard. She said that no public representative should have to suffer the threats which were levelled against him and his family.
All councillors on the authority concurred.
City Manager Brendan McGrath confirmed that the Council Executive has been in regular communication with Mayor Cubbard and has offered its full support.
Deputy Mayor Connolly spoke to Midwest News Editor Teresa O’Malley about the feelings of councillors, in light of what the Mayor and his family are dealing with at present