Commercial shellfish harvesting has ceased in certain bays along the west and southwest coasts, after high levels of toxins were found during routine monitoring.

As a result, the public are being urged to only consume shellfish from reputable dealers.

The high toxin levels in question are common at this time of year, due to the presence of a microscopic plankton species in Irish waters.

In some instances, consumption can lead to paralytic shellfish poisoning.

In extreme cases, this can lead to muscle paralysis, respiratory failure and even death.

0
0
0
s2smodern

Latest News