Work has recently been completed on phase 1 of the Ireland West Airport Knock’s €15m facilities investment plan.
It aims to further improving the customer experience for passengers over the next three years.
Overt €4.5m has been invested in the first phase of improvements, which have been underway for the past 18 months covering new passenger facilities, terminal upgrades and infrastructural works across the airport facility and runway.
Head of Marketing at IWAK, Donal Healy says it is continuing to invest, with the support of the Department of Transport, Department of Community and Rural Affairs, local authority stakeholders and its customers through their development fee contributions which has enabled the airport to reinvest in upgrading its facilities whilst ensuring compliance with Irish Aviation Authority requirements from a safety, security and operational perspective.
Phase 1 projects recently completed include:
- Construction and re-modelling of new toilet facilities at the airport
- Re-modelling of immigration and arrivals area
- Covered aircraft passenger boarding stairs
- Enhancement of the airport experience from a visual perspective creating a more contemporary look and feel throughout the airport terminal.
- Resurfacing of Car Park Zone 5 resulting in 250 permanent surfaced car park spaces
- Upgrade of existing car park equipment to the latest state of the art equipment
- Construction of a new aviation gallery in the first floor of the terminal building
- Installation of 25 new flight information display screens across the airport terminal
- Installation of new state of the art digital display screens throughout the airport facility
- Extension to the fire station at the airport
Phase 2 of the airport transformation programme has commenced in the last few weeks and will involve the completion of the following major projects over the coming 18 months
- Opening of a new state of the art Visitor Discovery Centre in the terminal building
- Upgrading of the airports Hold Baggage Screening equipment to comply with industry regulation
- Remodeling and upgrading of the airport Departures area
- Upgrading of Air Traffic Control equipment
- Rehabilitation of the airport’s long runway and upgrading of the instrument landing system
- Further upgrade and enhancement works to the car park