Tuam Mother and Baby Home

  • “Deflated, disappointed and confused” is how Tuam based historian Catherine Corless described her reaction to yesterday’s webinar where survivors of Mother And Baby Homes got their first glance at the 3000 page Commission Report into Mother and Baby Homes.

    Over the past five years, the commission has been establishing what occurred in 14 mother-and-baby homes and four county homes. The institutions, which are spread across the country, operated between the 1920s and the 1990s.

    She told Midwest News today that many of the 500 participants in the webinar afterwards expressed similar reactions to her, after listening to The Taoiseach Micheal Martin and the Minister for Children Roderic O’Connor.

    She described the tone of the Taoiseach’s address as “helplessness” and his apology appeared to lean on “our collective” responsibility for what happened to 56,000 women and 57,000 children who passed through these institutions over 70 years. Catherine says the apology needs to be substantially more specific, and in addition what happens now to the survivors of these institutions needs to be immediate, not long term aspirations.

    Survivors want access to their records, but that is not forthcoming she says, from what she has read so far in this extensive Report.

    Catherine spoke to Midwest News today about her reaction to this mammoth Report

  • A report into burial practices at mother and baby homes is to be brought before Cabinet this morning.

    The Irish Times reports that it's expected to focus on burial arrangements made for women and children who died while living in the institutions.

    The fifth interim report from the Mother and Baby Homes Commission was received by Children's Minister Katherine Zappone last month.

    The report includes extensive technical reports prepared in the course of the commission’s investigations into the burial site associated with the institution formerly known as the Tuam Mother and Baby Home and the commission’s assessment of burial arrangements in respect of a number of other institutions within its remit.

    It also reports on burial arrangements in circumstances where the remains were initially transferred to educational institutions for anatomical examination.

  • An announcement could be made today on whether the remains of hundreds of young children feared buried in a mass grave in Tuam will be exhumed.

    According to today’s Irish Independent, Children's Minister Katherine Zappone is expected to brief Cabinet members after considering legal advice on what action to take in relation to the remains, discovered at the site of the former Bon Secours Mother and Baby Home.

    An international Expert Technical Group (ETG) report, which was prepared for Minister  Zappone last year, gave a menu of five options for the site, ranging from memorialisation with no further excavations to exhumation, forensic examination and further investigations.

    The ultimate decision is expected to take into account advice received from Special Rapporteur on Child Protection Dr Geoffrey Shannon, who was asked by the minister to examine human rights issues raised by the ETG.

    It is anticipated that ministers may agree on the best way forward at today's Cabinet meeting.

    Minister Zappone will then brief the various parties involved in the campaign to remember the Tuam babies, before making a public announcement.

    The decision is described as  "extremely sensitive" and financial implications are likely to be down the list of priorities.

     It’s thought to be be "impossible" to take an option that will please all of the interested parties.

    Should the exhumation option be taken, it is likely to be a difficult task.

    The ETG report found the site in Tuam would test the boundaries of forensic investigation.

  • An art installation inspired by the Tuam Mother & Baby Home will go on display this Friday at the Linenhall Arts Centre in Castlebar.

    Katie Moore, a visual artist from Foxford, has created the installation, based on a conversation she had with historian Catherine Corless, before visiting the site of the former Mother & Baby Home in Tuam.

    Katie, who has cystic fibrosis, received an Arts & Disability bursary last year, and has used the award to create this installation called “Entropy”, which will be exhibited at the Linenhall Arts Centre from 4th May to the 2nd June.

  • The author of a new book about the Tuam Mother and Baby Home says time is running out for truth and justice.

    'My Name is Bridget' documents the life of one woman who entered the home in her twenties, in 1946.

    Journalist Alison O'Reilly says Bridget Dolan died without answers - and delays to the final report of the Commission of Investigation are unacceptable.

  •  

    Members of the Mother and Baby Homes Commission have refused to appear before an Oireachtas committee for a third time.

    The three members of the commission delivered a letter to the committee this morning, refusing to appear to address concerns about the handling of witness testimony.

    The Commission members said their agenda was to establish the truth and the report could be put in danger by an appearance before some members of the committee who rush to judgement.

     

     

     


    +++

  • The Sisters of Bon Secours, who ran St Mary's Mother and Baby Home in Tuam, says they're willing to participate in a redress scheme for survivors.

    In a statement, the Order has apologised for its part in the scandal and says that it did not live up to its Christianity when running the home.

    The Sisters also acknowledge that infants and children who died at the Home were buried in a disrespectful and unacceptable way.

    The scandal of what happened in Tuam and in various other Mother & Baby Homes around the country was revealed following the work of Tuam historian Catherine Corless.

    The Commission of Investigation was set up after her research showed that up to 800 babies and children were buried in an unmarked mass grave at the site of the former home in Tuam.

    On foot of the publication yesterday of the Commission's report, Taoiseach Mícheal Martin will make a formal State apology in the Dáil later to survivors of Mother & Baby Homes.

     

     

  • Minister for Children Katherine Zappone will bring proposals to cabinet about the prospects of identifying babies in a mass grave in a former religious-run institution in Tuam.

    This news has been confirmed by the Taoiseach, who said a report on the issue previously filed to the state did not say it was “impossible” to identify the nearly 800 remains at the former mother and baby home.

    Meanwhile, the Department of Children and Youth Affairs said a report from UCD and TCD scientists, which argues that DNA advances means that the remains can be identified, will be examined.

    Ms. Zappone told the Irish Times that she was very interested to see that other experts in the field of forensic archaeology and genetics have a different view to the experts she appointed.

    The Expert Technical Group which she had appointed will inform her of their opinion on the submission, and this would be part of her decision-making process she said.

  • There are calls for the latest report from Ireland's Mother and Baby Homes Commission to be published as soon as possible.

    The Children's Minister confirmed yesterday that she's received the 5th interim report which is focused on the burial arrangements of those who died while living in the homes.

    It brings the Government a step closer to approving the excavation of the Tuam site where almost 800 children are believed to be buried.

  • Campaigners say the state could be in breach of international law for its involvement in the Tuam Mother and Baby Home.

    The Irish Council for Civil Liberties says the crime of 'Enforced Disappearance' involves a state refusing to disclose the whereabouts of people who've been abducted.

    It's thought hundreds of children were secretly buried on the Tuam site.

    Thousands of children were also thought to have been illegally adopted through homes nationwide.

  • The Christmas tree lights at the site of the former Mother and Baby Home in Tuam will be officially switched on this afternoon at 3.30pm.

    Everyone is welcome to come along, and acknowledge the women and babies who lived and died at the home, according to former resident Peter Mulryan.

    Mr Mulryan says it's important to reflect on the mothers and babies who did not survive, and to stand in solidarity with all survivors of such institutions, who continue to be affected by their experices.

  • The Taoiseach says digging at the site of the mother-and-baby home in Tuam won't start until the end of next year, as legislation is needed before work can begin.

    In October, cabinet approved proposals by Children's Minister Katherine Zappone to excavate the site, after the work of historian, Catherine Corless, uncovered that 7-hundred-and-96 babies were buried there in an unmarked grave.

    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar says that measures need to be put in place to allow the government excavate the property.

  • Experts are looking at whether there's any legal block to gathering DNA from survivors of the Tuam Mother and Baby Home.

    Survivors want DNA collection to start as soon as possible given the age and health profiles of some of the women involved.

    It's hoped the information may help identify the remains of the children buried at the site when excavation begins.

    The government has commissioned Dr Geoffrey Shannon to look at whether it's legal to gather DNA from survivors - and how to manage privacy issues.

    Excavations at the Tuam site are due to begin late this year if the government passes the necessary legislation on time.

     

  • The fifth interim report on Mother and Baby Homes is expected to focus on burial arrangements for the women and children who died in the institutions.

    The report from the Mother and Baby Homes Commission was brought to cabinet by Children's Minister Katherine Zappone yesterday and is to be published today.

    The commission has been investigating 14 mother and baby homes - including the former home in Tuam - as well as four 'county homes' which were in operation between the years 1922 and 1998.

    Meanwhile, an annual day of commemoration could be approved for former residents of mother and baby homes.

    It's one of a number of proposals put forward by a forum of former residents that will be brought to government in September. 

    The proposals also include a new package of health measures which would see women gain access to GPs services, counselling and mental health supports. 

    The Tuam Mother & Baby Home Alliance - which represents survivors of the institution and their advocates - has welcomed the proposed health measures, and have reiterated the need for full medical cards and fast-tracking through the system as a number of survivors are over 80.

  • It has emerged that hundreds of survivors’ testimony was not used by the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes, and this is further heartache for survivors and their families, according to Tuam historian Catherine Corless.

    Yesterday, at an online lecture in Oxford University on the Irish Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes, Professor Mary Daly, one of the commissioners involved in the investigation admitted the none use of survivors’ testimony in the final report.

    None of the three commissioners involved in the Commission of investigation had, until yesterday spoken at any public event about their work or much-criticised final report since it was published in January.

    Previous invitations to the commissioners to appear before the Oireachtas Children’s Committee were turned down.

    Professor Daly said yesterday that the Commission was limited in what it could do due to the Terms of Reference it had to operate under. She later acknowledged that the Commission essentially discounted the evidence given by hundreds of survivors to the Confidential Committee.

    Catherine Corless says the Commission took 6 years to publish its findings and now to have it confirmed that it dismissed the evidence given to it in good faith by up to 500 survivors, is devastating.

    She has been speaking to Midwest News Editor Teresa O’Malley...

     

     

  • A County Galway historian has made a Christmas appeal to the Government to reunite families with the remains of babies buried at the Tuam Mother and Baby Home.

    Catherine Corless compiled the research which led to the discovery of a mass grave at the former home.

    She says she can't understand how the exhumation was approved by the Cabinet over a year ago, but the families are still waiting.

  • Hundreds of babies buried in a mass grave in a former religious-run mother and babies’ home in Tuam, Co Galway can be identified because of major advances in DNA testing, a team of scientists have declared.

    According to today’s Irish Times, the University College Dublin-Trinity College team has challenged the findings of an expert group set up by Minister for Children Katherine Zappone, which cast doubts on hopes that DNA testing could identify remains.

    The expert technical group had highlighted difficulties with the exhumation and identification of the remains held in an underground chamber and an adjoining, disused septic tank, because remains are “commingled”.

    However, the UCD-TCD team, who are all experts in genomics, argued that the analysis “is viewed through the prism of a technology that is at least 20 years old”, traditionally used to build DNA banks for use in criminal cases.

    New techniques, including those used to identify the remains of the Easter 1916 rebel Thomas Kent in 2015, have “dramatically changed the genetics landscape” and would address many of the concerns outlined by the ETG report.

    In March 2017, the Mother and Baby Homes Commission of Investigation confirmed the discovery of juvenile human remains in “significant quantities” in the chambers at the former home run by Bon Secours nuns.

    The commission was set up in 2015 after historian Catherine Corless published research that revealed death certificates for 796 children at the Tuam home from 1925 to 1961 with no indication of where they had been buried.

    The submission to Galway County Council is written by four leading genomics experts.

    Disagreeing with the “pessimistic and guarded tone” adopted in the ETG report, the UCD/Trinity group said a small sample taken from a part of the base of the skull would yield good-quality DNA .

  • The Commission investigating Mother and Baby Homes will not deliver its final report until 2020, after the Government today extended the Commission's deadline for another year.

    Children's Minister Katherine Zappone has confirmed that the Cabinet has given the Commission until February next year to complete its report on a sample of eighteen institutions, including the site of the former Mother & Baby Home in Tuam where death records of 796 children have been found and where the commission has already discovered a substantial number of human remains.

    The Commission published its fourth interim report today, in which it says that, since the Government's decision last October to conduct a forensic excavation of the burial ground in Tuam, a number of people have come forward with further information about burial practices at a number of the institutions under investigation, and these people are currently being interviewed.

  • The Government has agreed to draft new laws allowing for the excavation of the former Tuam Mother and Baby Home in Co. Galway.

    The legislation will also allow for the remains to be exhumed and DNA testing to be carried out to try and identify the babies.

    It's been confirmed the Sisters of Bon Secours will pay 2.5 million euro towards the cost - but the full cost could be up to 13 million.

    Tuam-based historian Catherine Corless, whose research led to the discovery of the children's remains at the site in Tuam, has welcomed today's announcement that legislation will now be drafted to excavate the former Mother & Baby Home site in Tuam.....

  • Tuam historian Catherine Corless has criticised the Government for failing to commit to excavation, exhumation, and DNA testing of the children’s remains found at the site of the former Tuam Mother and Baby Home.

    It’s now a year since the Children’s Minister Katherine Zappone confirmed that a substantial amount of children’s human remains had been discovered at the Tuam site.

    An expert group published its report in December outlining five possible options on how the situation should be handled.

    These ranged from no further investigate work at the site and that it be turned into a memorial, to exhuming the human remains and burying them elsewhere.

    A consultation process is now underway, and Galway County Council has arranged an independent facilitator to meet with locals in Tuam tomorrow and Friday as part of this process.

    Submissions can also be made online before 16th March, but historian Catherine Corless has objected to the voting system put in place by Galway County Council, where people can indicate their preferred option.

    Speaking to Midwest News, Catherine Corless said the least that should be done is that the children’s remains be exhumed and buried in a proper burial ground.

    She says it’s disappointing that so little has happened over the past year, despite the public outcry at the time.