Train

  • Alcohol will no longer be permitted on the lunchtime 12.45 Dublin Heuston to Westport train service on Fridays.

    In a statement today Irish Rail says it has made the decision because of persistent complaints from customers about regular instances of anti-social behaviour, connected to excessive alcohol consumption onboard the train.

    Customers boarding the service in possession of alcohol from this Friday will have it confiscated and no alcoholic beverages will be sold by catering staff onboard.

    The decision to ban alcohol on the 12.45 service follows on from the same decision being taken at the end of last year about the 14.45 Friday afternoon service.

    Gardai had to be called to an incident on the 12.45 service last Friday and Irish Rail are now implementing this ban from this weekend.

    Barry Kenny from Irish Rail explained the decision to Midwest News today.

  • Iarnrod Eireann is not fit to provide rail services to the public. That’s the view of Castlebar Independent councillor Michael Kilcoyne.

    The councillor has been speaking to Midwest News today in light of assault incidents that have occurred on the Westport to Dublin train on two separate occasions over the past number of days.

    On Saturday evening last an incident developed on the 5.45 Westport to Dublin service, after it stopped at Tullamore.  At least one person was injured.

    Four men in their twenties were arrested after Gardai later boarded the train at Sallins. Two of the four were released on bail and the other two were remabnded in custody to appear before Naas District court today.

    While on Thursday evening last, the Dublin to Westport train was held up for almost two hours at Claremorris after a train driver and a young female passenger were attacked by a male passenger.The male passenger was arrested and later taken to the Mayo Adult Health Unit.

    The train driver was the only staff member of Iarnrod Eireann on the train on Thursday evening.

    Councillor Kilcoyne told Midwest News Editor Teresa O’Malley that the company is not fit to provide a rail service to the public.

  • There were delays today on both the 7.35am Heuston to Westport service and the 9.45am Westport to Hesuton service.

    This was as a result of a motorist driving through a barrier on the Castlerea to Ballyhaunis line.

    No one was injured in the incident.

    However, there was significant delay as repairs had to be carried out to the barrier.

    Full service has since resumed.

  • Four men in their twenties have been arrested after a fight broke out last night on the Westport to Dublin Train.

    The incident happened after the 5.45pm service stopped at Tullamore.

    Gardai later boarded the train at Sallins in County Kildare.

    Two of the men have been charged with public order offences and released on bail, while another two remain in custody and are due to appear tomorrow at Naas District Court.

    At least one person was injured, however a Garda spokesperson says there was no stabbing incident despite reports that a knife had been spotted at the scene.

  • Over 50 incidents on Irish railways, including a collision between and train and truck in Co Mayo, were examined by inspectors from the Railway Accident Investigation Unit last year.

    The unit's annual report shows a total of 52 preliminary examinations of serious accidents and other incidents on the rail network were carried out last year - 12 more than the previous year.

    A full investigation was carried out into an incident at Cartron level crossing in Mayo which occurred just over a year ago.

    At 8.47am on 17th August last, a Mayo County Council truck drove through the level crossing, as the Ballina to Dublin goods train was approaching - the train collided with the truck, and the council truck was thrown clear of the train and into an adjacent ditch.

    Both the truck and train driver were taken to Mayo University Hospital for treatment following the collision.

    The annual report shows that, of the 14 collisions recorded last year, five involved Luas trams.

     

  • Passengers on the Westport to Dublin train had to stand in the toilet area due to the overcrowded conditions on the train, that’s according to Cathaoirleach of Mayo County Council, Brendan Mulroy.

     

    The Cathaoirleach has again called on Irish Rail to add additional carriages and trains on the Westport route to Dublin.

     

    With people standing in the aisles, in between carriages and in the toilets, the Cathaoirleach stated it wasn’t possible for a ticket collector to walk up the aisles on Sunday.

  • Passengers on the 6am train from Ballyhaunis to Dublin Heuston this morning were met with a challenge on arriving at the station for their train.

    One passenger told Midwest News that the gates on the station were locked when she arrived at 5.45am and were still locked when the train arrived at 6.01am, so no intending passengers could access the platform.

    The people there trying to catch the train were left with no option but to climb the high wall to access the platform and train.

    When those passengers boarded the train, they informed the driver of the situation and he opened the gates just before the train departed.

    Midwest News did seek a comment from Irish Rail on the matter and we are awaiting a response.

  • There was an unexpected arrival on the 3.04pm rail service from Galway to Dublin yesterday.

    The woman went into labour shortly after the train left Galway.

    After the alarm was raised, the train stopped at Kildare Station at around 5pm and emergency services were notified.

    A part of the carriage was sectioned off to ensure privacy for the woman and she gave birth in the area in between carriages.

    Glass doors were locked by staff and Irish Rail employees held up a blanket to protect her privacy.

    Ambulance services later arrived and helped to deliver the baby on board with the assistance of an off-duty doctor who was travelling on the train, and other passengers who were medically-trained.

    The baby and mother were taken to the Coombe Hospital are both said to be doing well.