Sligo

  • The body of a man who died in a work place accident yesterday in County Sligo will be laid to rest on Friday afternoon.

    Gerard Greene from Gortnagoyne, Dunmore, Co. Galway died while cutting down a tree.

    The accident occurred at Drumbaun, Curry at about 11.30 yesterday morning.

    Mr. Greene who was in his 30’s was fatally injured, and his body was removed to Sligo University Hospital for post-mortem examination.

    The Health & Safety Authority and the Gardai are investigating the circumstances of the fatal accident.

    The remains of Gerard Greene will repose at his residence tomorrow evening from 4pm until 9pm and again on Thursday from 4pm-9pm.

    Removal will take place on Friday to St. Patrick’s Church, Garrafrauns for funeral mass at 1 o’clock followed by burial in Addergoole cemetery.

  • A man in his 40s has died in a road collision in Co Sligo.

    The collision involving a car and a truck occurred at about 12 noon today on the N4 between Castlebaldwin and COllooney.

    The driver of the car was pronounced dead at the scene a short time later, and his body has been removed to Sligo University Hospital for post-mortem examination.

    The scene of the crash is being preserved for forensic examination, and the road remains closed to traffic, with diversions in place.

    Gardai in Ballymote are appealing for any witnesses to contact them at 071 - 91 89500 or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.

     

  • A man in his 60s has died in a road traffic collision in Co. Sligo.

    The collision, involving a van and a jeep, occurred at about 7 o'clock yesterday evening at Jinks Cross, Carraroe.

    The driver of the jeep was pronounced dead at the scene, while the van-driver was taken to Sligo University Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

    The scene of the crash is preserved for forensic examination.

     

     

  • A man in his 60's has died in a road collision in Co Sligo.

    The single-vehicle collision occurred at about 9.45 this morning when the man's car struck a wall at a bridge at Doomore, Cloonacool.

    His body was removed to Sligo University Hospital for post-mortem examination.

    The Cloonacool-Tubbercurry road remains closed to traffic, as a technical and forensic examination of the scene is underway.

    Diversions are in place.

    Anyone who witnessed this morning's collision is asked to contact Ballymote Garda Station at 071- 91 89500.

     

     

  • An investigation is underway after a man suffered head and neck injuries after he was stabbed in Sligo last night.

    The incident happened on the Strandhill Road area at around twenty five past eight.

    The victim, whose injuries are not believed to be life threatening, was  brought to Sligo Regional Hospital.

    One man has been arrested and is being detained at Ballymote Garda Station.

     

  • The trial of a man accused of murdering his wife at their home in Sligo has heard she had defensive wounds on her arm, and died from manual strangulation.

    Rafal Karaczyn of Crozon Park, Sligo has pleaded guilty to her manslaughter, but denies murdering his wife between April 29th and May 1st 2018.

    In the Garda interviews presented to the jurors so far, Rafal Karaczyn repeatedly denied killing his wife Natalia. He told them she was the mother of his children, and he loved her.

    He said they were on a "break" at the time, and while he was aware she was cheating on him, he claimed he had accepted it and wanted to move on.

    He claimed he saw her lying on her bed with her clothes still on one morning, and removed her from the house when he realised she was dead because he feared he'd get the blame.

    He brought Gardaí to the spot where he left her body.

    A post-mortem revealed she died from asphyxia due to the application of external pressure to her neck.

    Gardaí put it to Mr. Karaczyn that he killed her because he was angry and jealous. He denied that was the case, and told them to look out for a 6ft man with red hair and a beard, whom he claimed put a gun to his head a few weeks beforehand and told him Natalia had "messed with the wrong woman"

    The case continues.

  • A man who was arrested in connection with a €60,000 drugs seizure in Sligo Town on Tuesday has been released from custody.

    Gardai arrested the man in his early 50's following the seizure of approximately €60,000 worth of suspected cannabis herb during a planned search of a house at Market Yard in Sligo.

    The man was arrested at the scene and was questioned at Ballymote Garda Station.

    Gardai said last night that the suspect has since been released from custody and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

    Investigations are ongoing.

     

  • A man is due before the courts in Sligo in connection to the seizure of 100,000 thousand euro worth of cannabis.

    The discovery was made at a house in Ballymote on Thursday - where a sum of cash was also recovered.

    A man in his 30s had been arrested following the search and questioned by Gardaí.

    He will appear before Sligo District Court later this morning.

  • A man who had been reported missing from Co Sligo has been found safe and well.

    Paul Geraghty, also known as Pol MacOireachtaigh, who is from Tubbercurry was reported missing on Tuesday June 26th.

    Gardai confirmed this afternoon that he has been found safe and well and thanked the public for their help in the matter.

     

     

  • The general manager of a Sligo hotel has secured a temporary High Court injunction, preventing what he claims is a flawed disciplinary hearing against him from proceeding.

    The injunction was secured by Fergal Ryan, general manager of the Clayton Hotel in Sligo, against his employer Dalata Hotel Group Plc

    Issues had arisen over the testimony of two employees at the Sligo hotel who were called as witnesses for the company.

    Senior counsel Patrick O'Reilly, acting for Fergal Ryan, told the High Court that the disciplinary hearing was flawed to the degree that it was now "doomed".

    Mr Ryan, who has worked in the hotel industry for 28 years, said disciplinary proceedings were started against him earlier this year after he declined offers of money from his employer to leave this job.

    Mr Ryan's solicitor had asked that the disciplinary process be halted, but that was refused, resulting in the injunction application.

    Ms Justice Theresa Pilkington, granting the injunction, said she was satisfied a serious issue that requires adjudication by the court has been raised, and returned the matter to next week.

  • Many parts of the region are without electricity today following high winds and lightning strikes overnight.

    Around 700 homes and businesses are without electricity in the Crossmolina area, with another 200 out in the Bangor Erris region.

    Around 400 are without power in the Killala area, while around 600 are without electricity in the Ballina/Ardnaree/Bonniconlon areas and almost 200 homes are out in Knockmore.

    In Swinford about 1000 electricity customers are out, with over 100 in Achill and around 350 in Enniscrone.

    ESB Powercheck says estimated restoration times at present are at around 8pm this evening. 

     

  • Former MEP Marian Harkin has confirmed she will not be running for Fine Gael in the next General Election.

    The Sligo woman had been at the centre of speculation in recent weeks, as the party seeks a running mate to partner Boyle based Senator Frank Feighan in the next race for the Dail.

    It had been suggested this week that the ex-MEP, who stepped down from her role in Europe in May’s elections, might be tempted to run for the party, but last night confirmed via twitter that she would not be joining Fine Gael.

  • One man from  Mayo and two from Sligo will be honoured tomorrow at the National Bravery Awards, taking place in Dublin.

    In total, 12 acts of bravery will be recognised, with awards to 19 recipients  and one posthumous honour.

    Gary Kennedy from Co Mayo will receive a bravery award for rescuing his friend from the sea off Westport in the Summer of 1976.

    Also being honoured are Garda Pauric Deery from Sligo, for rescuing a girl from the Garavogue last September, while Basil Harte will receive a bravery award for also rescuing a young woman from the Garavogue in Sligo in February 2017.

    The honours are awarded by the Deeds of Bravery Council, which is chaired by the Ceann Comhairle, and was set up in 1947 to provide for suitable recognition by the State of deeds of bravery.

    The Council awards Certificates of Bravery, and may award gold, silver or bronze medals.

    The awards will take place tomorrow afternoon at Farmleigh House in Dublin's Phoenix Park.

     

  • There were no big surprises among the list of Ireland's richest people released today.

    The Sunday Independent Rich List found the Dublin based Mistry family, worth 16.1 billion euro, are the wealthiest in the country once again.

    The list estimates wealth based on stock market filings, documents in the Companies Registration Office, annual reports and information disclosed in interviews.

    Samantha McCaughren, Sunday Independent Business Editor, says the Mayo based Kenny family are worth 497m and are 32nd on the list overall and are the wealthiest entry from Mayo. 

    The Comer brothers are the wealthiest entry on the rich list from Galway. The Glenamaddy natives are 13th on the list overall.

     

    Seamus Mulligan from Athlone is the highest entry from Roscommon.

    Mr Mulligan sold his business this year, which pushed him up in the list. 

    The highest entry from Sligo is Eileen Monaghan and is shareholder in the Doyle Hotel Group.

     

  • The location of the Headquarters of the new garda division that will stretch across counties Mayo, Roscommon and Longford  is not yet known, but is likely to be announced within a week or so.

    It could be located in Castlebar, Roscommon or Longford.

    However, the new larger garda region of the Northwest, operational since Monday, is headquartered in Sligo.

    These changes in the operation and management of the gardai nationally were announced earlier this week by Commissioner Drew Harris and will be implemented in full over a three year period.

    The new larger geographical areas in the plan have caused garda union representatives to express opposition and concern to the changes.

    Garda districts have become redundant in the new system and the former Mayo Garda District is now part of the larger Mayo, Roscommon, Longford division.

    However, the Mayo district was part of the pilot group introducing the new measures, and has been working under the new system locally since February of this year.

  • Members of the People Before Profit Party in Sligo protested outside the gates of IT Sligo on Friday ahead of the special Cabinet meeting to rubberstamp the Ireland 2040 plan.

    The group were there to protest for a number of reasons. Local Cllr Gino O’Boyle was there to highlight the lack of social and affordable housing in Sligo. There are 1,100 people on the waiting list, with only 65-85 houses available.

    While Nigel Gallagher from the party was there as part of the Still Waiting campaign, which is calling for a one-tier health system.

  • Met Eireann has issued a status Yellow Wind warning for counties Mayo, Donegal, Galway, Sligo, Clare and Kerry

    Southerly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h, gust 90 to 100 km/h later this evening and tonight in Atlantic coastal counties, strongest on the coast.

    The warning will remain in place until 3pm tomorrow Saturday.

     

  • The government is being urged to act on new powers it will have to determine VAT rates on defibrillators.

    MEPs, who are meeting in Strasbourg, have backed an overhaul of the VAT system across Europe.

    Member states will have more flexibility, in certain cases, to decide the rate applied to some products - including defibrillators, which currently attract a 23 per cent rate.

    In the past the Irish government has said its hands are tied when it to comes to decision making on VAT.

    Independent MEP for Midlands North-West, Marian Harkin, wants the Government to now remove VAT from defibrillators:

  • The Minister for Agriculture has announced details of Online Clinics which will be held across the region in April, to assist farmers to submit their Basic Payment Scheme and Transfer of Entitlements applications online.

    Farmers can meet on a one-to-one basis with Department staff who will assist them in making their BPS application.

    Under EU regulations, all applications must now be submitted online, and the application process is open since February.

    BPS online clinics are being held across the region where farmers can meet one-to-one with a member of staff from the Department, and make their Basic Payment Scheme application there and then.

    A clinic will be held at the Radisson Blu Hotel in Sligo next Friday 5th April, at the Twin Trees Hotel, Ballina on Wed 10th April, at the Oranmore Lodge Hotel in Oranmore, Galway on Friday 12th April and the Shearwater Hotel in Ballinasloe the following Tuesday 16th April, and at the McWilliam Park Hotel in Claremorris on Tuesday 30th April - the clinics will run from 9am to 3pm.

    Further online clinics are planned for Galway, Roscommon and Mayo during the month of May.

    Minister Michael Creed is urging farmers to avail of the opportunity to apply for the BPS with the assistance of Department staff.

    Farmers with queries in relation to completing the BPS apaplication online can also ring the Department at 076 - 1064420.

     

  • The Minister with responsibility for the OPW Kevin Boxer Moran has been invited to visit Ballymote Castle in Co Sligo, to explain why public access to the castle has been restricted over the past year.

    Ballymote Castle was built around 1300 and is one of the last Norman castles built in Connacht.

    Sligo Fianna Fail Councillor Keith Henry says a number of areas of the castle are closed off, due to safety concerns, and permission to enter is required in advance by emailing the OPW, which he claims is a backward step.

    Councillor Henry, who's a History teacher, says the castle is a great public amenity for locals and visitors, and should be fully re-opened to the public.

    He's awaiting a response to his invitation to Minister Moran to visit the castle