Roscommon

  • Tedd Webb Academy Day 16th August results

    Group 1

    Sligo 0-10     Galway CW 1-7

    Galway Blue 2-2      Mayo EW 1-15

    Galway CW 0-9       Mayo EW 1-5

    Sligo 3-9         Galway Blue 0-5

     

    Group 2

    Mayo NS    4-7    Leitrim 0-5

    Roscommon 1-3    Galway North 0-10

    Galway North 2-5     Mayo NS  3-10

    Leitrim 0-9     Roscommon 2-10

  • A man in his 40's has been taken to hospital after a dramatic river rescue in Boyle, in Co Roscommon this afternoon.

    It's understood the alarm was raised at around lunchtime when the man is believed to have entered the water near the town centre.

    Efforts were made to throw life rings to the man but these proved unsuccessful, and he was eventually rescued when a teenage boy waded into the water near the GAA club and pulled him to shore.

    He was subsequently treated by emergency services before being transferred to hospital where he is understood not to have suffered any life-threatening injuries.

  • The Courts Service has sourced an alternative location in Roscommon Town, while refurbishment works are underway on Roscommon Courthouse.

    Independent Roscommon TD Denis Naughten has received confirmation that premises have been sourced in the town where the court service can operate, pending the refurbishment works.

    There had been concerns that court sittings may have to be moved to other towns in the county, but Deputy Naughten says the courts can now continue to operate in the county town.

    He's also received confirmation from the Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan that the refurbishment of the courthouse will be part of the next public/private partnership bundle.

     

     

  • Ten counties had no emergency accommodation for victims of domestic violence last year.

    The Times Ireland edition says many women and children are fleeing abusive situations - only to be told there's no space for them at refuges.

    It also claims the government is still counting beds from a Dublin refuge that was closed in 2017 in its statistics for emergency spaces.

    The counties without emergency accommodation include Galway County, Leitrim and Roscommon.

  • A respite centre for people with disabilities will close today, with the loss of 48 jobs.

    The Irish Wheelchair Association is shutting the Cuisle centre in Donamon, Co Roscommon because of funding issues.

    More than 1,500 people protested against the plans last weekend, but the IWA confirms it will close today.

  • The death has taken place of well-known Ballaghadereen businessman John Duffy, owner of the Supervalu store in the town.

    The 67-year old was a significant employer in the Co Roscommon town, employing over 90 people in Supervalu.

    He passed away last night at University Hospital Galway, following a short illness, and is survived by his wife Bernadette, two daughters and a son, his sister, brothers and extended family.

    John Duffy's remains will repose at the family home in Kilcolman, Ballaghadereen tomorrow from 3 until 7pm, arriving at the Cathedral of the Annunciation & St Nathy at 8pm.

    His Funeral Mass will take place at 3pm on Wednesday with burial afterwards in Kilcolman Cemetery.

     

  • The lead investigator in the Roscommon 'House of Horrors' scandal fears the man involved will reoffend after just being released from prison.

    In 2010, he was found guilty of 47 counts of rape and sexual assault against his son when the boy was between 12 and 15 years old.

    He denied the offences, but was convicted and sentenced to 11 years in jail, while his wife was also put behind bars after pleading guilty to ten charges, including forcing her son to have sex with her.

    The court also heard their six children were grossly neglected in their Roscommon home.

    The father was released from prison two weeks ago after serving eight years, and retired sergeant John Hynes, who led the investigation, fears he could re-offend.

  • Three Romanian men have been brought before a special sitting of Roscommon District Court today, to face charges in connection with recent attacks on sex workers. 

    The proceedings follow a number of arrests at addresses in west Dublin on Tuesday. 

    The arrests were part of the ongoing "Operation Quest" investigation into attacks on sex workers at various locations around the country. 

    The three men before the court today are alleged to have been involved in the theft and assault of two sex workers, at an apartment block in Roscommon at the end of October. 

    The court was told that CCTV footage showed the defendants arriving at the location, parking and entering the apartment block, on 28 October.

    In addition, the victims had given detailed descriptions of their alleged assailants to Gardaí. 

    One of the defendants was charged with robbery, and the other two were charged with robbery and use of an offensive weapon.

    The three men - aged in their 20s and 30's and all with addresses in Dublin - were remanded in custody to tomorrow's sitting of Harristown District Court in Castlerea.

  • Three men have been taken to hospital after the car they were travelling in entered the River Shannon in Rooskey, Co. Roscommon this afternoon following a single vehicle road crash.

    Emergency services attended the scene after the alarm was raised shortly after 2pm this afternoon.

    The men were taken from their vehicle by emergency services and have been transferred to Mullingar Hospital.

    It’s understood their injuries are believed to be non-life threatening.

  • Three men will appear in court in Roscommon this morning, in connection with a string of targeted attacks on sex workers.

    It follows searches in West Dublin on Tuesday.

    As part of Operation Quest, detectives have been investigating a number of attacks on sex workers, mainly in the Dublin area.

    Seven were recorded since the middle of October, where online appointments were made but when the client arrived, the sex worker was assaulted and robbed.

    Three addresses in the west Dublin area were searched on Tuesday and four men, aged 18 to 37, were arrested.

    Three of them will appear before a special sitting of Roscommon District Court this morning.

    A fourth man was released without charge and a file is to be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

  • There is now a three month waiting time for driving tests in counties Roscommon and Galway and there is not a single driver tester in county Leitrim at present. That’s according to Fianna Fail deputy Eugene Murphy.

     The deputy says the situation is completely unacceptable and hits young people in rural areas from taking up employment in many cases.

    He says there is no public transport service in many of the areas effected.

    The average waiting time for a driving test in Roscommon is now 12 weeks, in Galway its 10 weeks, in Castlebar 11 weeks and in Carrick on Shannon its 15 weeks.

    Deputy Murphy told Midwest News today that at present nationally more than 45,000 people are waiting for a driving test.

  • Three more cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed in Connacht over the past 24 hours.

    Two cases were in Galway, where the number of confirmed cases is 483, with one additional case confirmed in Roscommon where there are now 338.

    No increase once again in Mayo, with the number of confirmed cases remaining at 570 since the start of this month.

    There are still 128 confirmed cases in Sligo and 84 in Leitrim.

    Nationally, a further 9 people with Covid-19 have died, bringing the death toll to 1,691.

    Latest Department of Health figures show 9 new cases of the virus have also been confirmed over the past 24 hours, meaning there have been 25,215 confirmed cases since the outbreak first began in late February.

  • Three more people have died of Covid-19 in the Republic and  324 new cases were confirmed this evening.

    167 are in Dublin, 42 are in Donegal and 34 are in Cork, while in this region, 6 more cases have been confirmed in Co Roscommon.

    Dr Ronan Glynn, acting Chief Medical Officer, says doctors are coming across more cases arising from people who are close contacts of confirmed cases, but not restricting their movements.

     

     

  • The Tibohine Action Group in Roscommon has confirmed that they intend to take Roscommon County Council to the High Court in relation to the development of a Biopark at Ballinphuill, Tibohine.

    In a statement today the group says: “After eight years of fighting for proper and fair procedure regarding the development of a Biopark at Ballinphuill, Tibohine, we have been left with no option other than to take Roscommon County Council to the High Court.

    Our case has been accepted by the High Court and will now go through the court process.

    Our greatest grievance is the acceptance of the retention application by Roscommon County Council.

    This has been a very long battle but we have remained united as an Action Group and we fully intend to see this process out to its conclusion.

    The Tibohine Action Group says it will not be making any further comment at this time.

  • As the Mayo / Roscommon Hospice struggles to meet its fundraising targets due to Covid-19 restrictions, two Transition Year students at CBS in Roscommon raised almost €11,000 for the hospice in a tractor run last month.

    Tommie O'Hara and Sean McCormack organised the tractor run in Roscommon Town on 8th March as a Transition Year project, and in memory of Tommie's sister, Tracey Brennan who campaigned on behalf of cervical cancer patients before she passed away last year.

    Over 200 tractors turned out for the event at Roscommon Mart on 8th March, and over €10,700 was raised for the Mayo / Roscommon Hospice.

  • Traffic is down to one lane on Pound Street in Ballaghaderreen this morning.

    Gardai confirmed that there was an incident there earlier and Gardai are currently at the scene dealing with it.

    Midwest News understands a pedestrian was hit there earlier.

  • Tributes are being paid to a Roscommon woman who campaigned for equal access to a new drug for women suffering from cervical cancer.

    Tracey Brennan from Four Mile House and formerly of Clover Hill, Roscommon, was battling stage four cancer and passed away at Galway University Hospital on Friday.

    The mother of one was diagnosed with Stage 2 cervical cancer in 2017 following a smear test.

    She underwent treatment but suffered a relapse in April 2018.

    Ms Brennan campaigned alongside fellow cancer sufferers Vicky Phelan and Aine Morgan for the Pembrolizumab drug to be introduced for all Irish cervical cancer patients where tests indicated it would work.

    Her funeral Mass is underway this lunchtime in Cloverhill, Roscommon with burial afterwards in Ballinderry Cemetery.

    She's survived by her husband Aidan, son Evan, parents Pauline and MJ O'Hara, sisters, brothers and extended family.

    Campaigner Vickkey Phelan is among those who have paid tributes to her, as a friend, fellow cervical cancer warrior and campaigner.

     

     

  •  

    Gardaí have seized a firearm and a number of vehicles, as they investigate last weekend's violence at the scene of an eviction in Roscommon.

    Two men were arrested this morning in connection with the incident in Falsk near Strokestown.

    8 security officers, who were guarding the empty property, were injured and several vehicles were torched by a group of masked attackers.

    The detained men are aged in their 50s and 60s, and are being held under the Offences against the State Act, at Castlerea Garda Station.

    Gardaí say a lorry and a teleporter were among the vehicles seized during searches of houses and sheds at four locations.

     

     

     

     

  • The two males who had been detained in relation to an incident at a repossessed house at Falsk in Roscommon have this morning been released this morning without charge. A file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

    The men were being questioned about the illegal possession of a shotgun, which was seized in searches carried out by Gardaí investigating the assault on security guards protecting a repossessed house outside Strokestown last Sunday. 

    The investigation is ongoing and Gardai have renewed their appeal to anyone with information to come forward and contact us here at Castlerea Garda Station on 094 9621630 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.

     

  • Two men have been arrested in connection with an incident that occurred in Roscommon on the 16th of December, 2018.

     

    The criminal damage and assault happened at a house at Falsk.

     

    The men - who are in their 40s and 50s - will appear before Castlerea District Court this morning.