Roscommon

  •  

    A 20 year old man has presented himself to Gardaí in relation to a fatal hit and run in county Roscommon last night.

    A pedestrian in his 80s was killed when he was struck by a car which failed to remain at the scene in Keadue after 11pm.

    The driver of the car later presented himself at Carrick-on-Shannon Garda Station.

    A forensic examination of the scene was carried out this morning.

     

     

     

  • Gardai say their investigations are continuing into a multi-million euro VAT Carousel Fraud.

    A man in his 50's was arrested as part of the investigation earlier this week, and was questioned at Castlerea Garda Station under section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act.

    Castlerea Gardai have confirmed to Midwest News that the man was released without charge yesterday evening, and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

    A woman in her 40's had previously been arrested in Co Louth in May in connection with the investigation, and was subsequently released without charge.

    The investigation has been ongoing since 2017, and it's claimed the fraud involves the movement, purchase and sale of goods between different companies in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland for a number of years.

    Gardai say this type of fraud involves supplier companies, VAT-registered entities, customer companies and transport companies.

    The ongoing investigation involves Gardai, the Criminal Assets Bureau, PSNI, National Crime Agency and Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs Agency.

     

  • A 50 year old man arrested in connection with an investigation into criminal damage and an assault in Co. Roscommon has been released without charge.

    Eight security men were injured, a dog was killed and six vehicles were burnt out in a brawl at a repossessed house in Strokestown in December.

    The man was the 6th person to be arrested as part of the investigation, two are currently before the courts.

    A file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

  • A man has been taken to hospital after a crash in Co Roscommon last night.

    Two vehicles collided on the N5 between Frenchpark and Ballinagare and the road was closed for some time but has since reopened to traffic.

  • Sentence will be handed down next month on a man who pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of a woman in Co Roscommon last year.

    At the Central Criminal Court yesterday, a young mother said someone  must have been looking over her the day that her ex-boyfriend’s gun repeatedly jammed as he tried to shoot her in the face.

    39-year old Gerard Mooney of no fixed abode but with a previous address in Castlerea was before the court yesterday for his sentence hearing.

    His barrister said that,  ‘but for the good grace and intervention of another power’, he may have faced a more serious charge than the attempted murder to which he had pleaded guilty.

    Father of three Gerard Mooney has pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of 28-year old Stephanie Clifton on February 12th 2017 at Cartron, Co Roscommon and to a number of related charges.

     

    The court heard that Gerard Mooney and his brother, originally from Dublin, had moved to Castlerea and he had been living in a car at the time.

    Defence counsel Michael Bowman told Mr Justice Michael White that the offence was ‘a consequence of jealousy and an inability to accept that the relationship had collapsed’.

    Justice White remanded the accused in custody until January 18th, when he will hand down sentence.

     

     

  • A man who died following a road collision in Strokestown on Thursday evening has been named. 

    He was Paul O'Gara of Farnbeg, Strokestown. Mr O'Gara, who was in his 70's, died after a car collided with him on the N5 at Bridge Street in the town on Thursday evening shortly before 8pm. 

    He was pronounced dead at the scene. 

    Mr O'Gara's remains will repose at McHugh’s Funeral Home, Strokestown on Sunday evening from 4 o’clock until 8 o’clock. He will be laid to rest on Monday following 11.30 Funeral Mass in the Parish Church, Strokestown. 

     

  • A 39 year old man, whose gun jammed when he tried to shoot his ex-girlfriend, has been jailed for 8 years.

    Gerard Mooney from Dublin but with a previous address in Castlerea in Roscommon was on bail when he pointed the gun in his former partner's face.

    The court heard he became obsessive after their relationship broke down and he called her more than 250 times over a number of days.

    He pleaded guilty to attempted murder with the Judge noting personal relationships can be the most dangerous place for victims.

  • A march will take place in Castlerea today.

    The marchis being held in response to an incident which occurred in the town last weekend.

    The march will take place from the Lidl Car Park to the Garda Station at 1pm this afternoon.

  • Masters Shield Final 
    Mayo 1-05 
    Roscommon 1-05

  • Christy Ring Cup 
    Group 1
    Round 2

    Kildare 2-14
    Mayo 1-15 

    Wicklow 2-16 
    Roscommon 0-16

    Lory Meagher Cup 
    Sligo 4-14
    Lancashire 2-19 

  • There were no big surprises among the list of Ireland's richest people released today.

    The Sunday Independent Rich List found the Dublin based Mistry family, worth 16.1 billion euro, are the wealthiest in the country once again.

    The list estimates wealth based on stock market filings, documents in the Companies Registration Office, annual reports and information disclosed in interviews.

    Samantha McCaughren, Sunday Independent Business Editor, says the Mayo based Kenny family are worth 497m and are 32nd on the list overall and are the wealthiest entry from Mayo. 

    The Comer brothers are the wealthiest entry on the rich list from Galway. The Glenamaddy natives are 13th on the list overall.

     

    Seamus Mulligan from Athlone is the highest entry from Roscommon.

    Mr Mulligan sold his business this year, which pushed him up in the list. 

    The highest entry from Sligo is Eileen Monaghan and is shareholder in the Doyle Hotel Group.

     

  •  

    Mayo begin their 2019 Allianz football league campaign against familiar opposition as we face Roscommon on Saturday night in Elverys MacHale Park.

    Manager James Horan back in charge for a second spell has continued his youth first policy by handing out two debuts for his opening league game with forwards Brian Reape & Conor Diskin both playing national league football for the very first time. At the other end of the scale it's also a landmark occasion for Jason Doherty who will be making his 100th appearance in the green & red on Saturday night. He made his league debut against Kerry in 2011.

    1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. Eoin O'Donoghue - Belmullet
    3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    7. Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels(C)
    8. Diarmuid O’Connor - Ballintubber
    9. Donal Vaughan - Castlebar Mitchels
    10. Fergal Boland - Aghamore
    11. Aidan O’Shea - Breaffy
    12. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    13. Evan Regan - Ballina Stephenites
    14. Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts
    15. Conor Diskin - Claremorris

  • Mayo will start off their 2020 Connacht championship campaign against Leitrim in the Connacht quarterfinal.

    The last time the Green and Red won the Connacht crown was in 2015 after completing the 5 in a row.

    Elsewhere Galway will travel to New York, while holders Roscommon make the trip to London in the two of three quarter-final encounters.

    Sligo will play the winner of Galway and New York in a semi-final and the winners of Mayo/Leitrim will play against Roscommon/London in the other side of the draw.

  • A deputation from Castlerea were planning to travel to Dublin later today to meet with the Health Minister Simon Harris and the Minister for Mental Health Jim Daly, in relation to the future of the Rosalie unit in Castlerea.

    However, Minister Daly has requested that the meeting be postponed, due to diary issues.

    It’s now been rescheduled for three weeks time -Wed 28th March.

    There are major concerns about the future of the home, which accommodates 13 elderly people with Alzheimers and dementia, after the HSE said the facility is not part of its long-term plans.

    No new admissions have been taken into the home for the past year and a half.

    However, a campaign is underway locally to retain the Rosalie unit, with thousands of people signing a petition to that effect.

     

  • Members of the community in Rooskey are taking to the streets this lunchtime to let asylum seekers know they're welcome.

    It follows a number of recent fires at the Shannon Key West Hotel which has been earmarked for the development of a Direct Provision centre.

    Organiser Eamonn Crudden says they're putting on a 'NO TO RACISM' rally to let asylum seekers know they're welcome.

  • Met Eireann has issued a Status Red Snow-Ice Alert for the five counties of Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Meath and Wicklow.

    As is the case with a red weather warning, schools in those counties are likely to close today and remain closed until the warning is lifted.

    Forecasters say total snowfall up to mid-day tomorrow could reach 25 cm ,while a status orange warning has been extended to Cork, Waterford and Wexford.

    It follows a very cold night, with snow showers in parts of the east, south and midlands.

    The West of Ireland has escaped most of the snow showers, however, it’s on the way, with snow falling in the past hour or two in areas of Co Roscommon and moving into East Mayo.

    Temperatures overnight dropped to between minus 2 and minus 5 across the West & Northwest, with minus 3 recorded at Knock Airport, and temperatures are not expected to rise above zero today.

    The arrival of Storm Emma tomorrow is set to bring heavy snowfall and gale force winds.

     

  • Roscommon-Galway TD Michael Fitzmaurice has got the support of 19 Independent TDs and Senators to back the nomination of a candidate seeking to contest the Presidential election.

    Investigative journalist Gemma O'Doherty is the latest to announce her intention to seek a nomination for the presidency.

    She is one of a number of independent candidates seeking a nomination.

    A candidate needs the support of 20 Oireachtas members or 4 local authorities to secure a nomination.

    Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil and Labour have all decided to support current President Michael D Higgins' bid for a second term, while Sinn Fein confirmed earlier this Summer that it would be fielding a candidate, but has not yet announced the candidate.

    Deputy Michael Fitzmaurice believes that-in the interests of democracy - the Independent Oireachtas members should facilitate a candidate to contest the election, but is not asking his colleagues at this point to state their preferred candidate.

    Deputy Fitzmaurice told Midwest News this evening that he will be contacting his Independent colleagues again this week on the matter...

  • AIB All-Ireland Intermediate Club Football Final 
    Moy 1-10 
    Michael Glaveys 0-07 

  • Communications Minister Denis Naughten will appear before a meeting of the Communications, Climate Action and Environment Committee today to answer questions about a deal that has led to the closure of 159 rural post offices.

    The restructuring plan, which was worked out between An Post and the Irish Postmasters' Union, has been criticised over its likely impact on rural communities.

    In addition to the Minister's presence, today's meeting will be attended by representatives from An Post, the Post Office Networks, the An Post Mailing Centres, and the Public Banking Forum of Ireland.

    Galway Fine Gael TD Hildegarde Naughton is Chair of the Committee she says they will be asking An Post to outline its strategy in offering these packages resulting in so many closures of rural post offices.

  • In the Dail yesterday the Minister for the elderly Jim Daly, indicated that the Rosalie Unit in Castlerea will not be closed down as a HSE facility, but may no longer serve as a residential facility for elderly people with alzheimers or dementia.

     He was responding to another question on the facility’s future submitted by local Fianna Fail deputy Eugene Murphy.

    Last Friday, Tony Canavan of the HSE told oireachtas members that a report on the unit, that is home to twelve residents, is strongly indicating that the residents needs would be better met in an alternative location.

     Residents and their families strongly disagree, but Mr Canavan said that while the unit as it stands looks set for closure, he has passed on the report to a medical expert to review before a final decision is made.

     Councillor Murphy told Midwest News this afternoon, that yesterday’s statement by the Minister appears to concur with Mr Canavan's.