MUH

  • A woman waited five hours in the waiting room at the Emergency Dept of Mayo University hospital on a Saturday afternoon last month, in severe pain before seeing any doctor.

    She has detailed her experience in an email to Castlebar independent councillor Michael Kilcoyne.

    The woman attended the ED of the hospital on Saturday July 21st, where it appeared that there was not adequate staff on duty to cope with the demands.

    She describes an 18 month old sick toddler with her mother waiting five hours to be seen by a doctor, and a man who had waited seven hours to see a doctor and eventually was gone home when his name was called.

    Councillor Kilcoyne says the situation is completely unacceptable and together with information released earlier this week that almost a million people are waiting for outpatient appointments nationally, he calims, the health system is failing many patients.

  • On one evening last April, seven ambulances were backed up at Mayo University Hospital waiting  to get their patients admitted to the emergency dept of the hospital. The situation was highlighted here on Midwest News by local Independent councillor Michael Kilcoyne.

     The councillor is a member of the HSE West and earlier this week he received clarification from HSE management about the longest delay for a patient and an ambulance crew on that particular evening at the hospital.

    HSE management apologised for the delays that had occurred with the longest delay for patient and ambulance crew registering in excess of 5 hours.

     Cllr Kilcoyne told Midwest News today that the situation is completely unacceptable

  • Maintenance staff at Mayo University Hospital have been undertaking a daily lunchtime protest outside the hospital for weeks now.

     The protesters are members of Connect and Siptu trade unions.

    They claim that their contracts are being significantly changed by the HSE / Hospital Management without any consultation or discussion.

    Midwest News spoke to some of the protesters last week and afterwards asked the HSE for a response.

     Several days later the HSE – Saolta Hospital group issued the following statement.

    “This dispute is an unofficial action and the employer has continued from the outset to secure meaningful engagement within the agreed processes. A matter has been referred to the Labour Court under the Public Service Agreement and management has not implemented any changes associated with this pending the outcome of the Labour Court hearing”.

  • The Health Minister says he can't understand why the union representing health support staff went ahead with a strike before going to the Labour Court.

    10 thousand workers including cleaners, porters and catering staff have downed tools today in a pay dispute.

    The HSE says we won't know the full impact on hospitals until later today, but that surgeries, inpatient procedures and outpatient appointments will be the areas worst affected.

    The SIPTU union doesn't think going to the Labour Court now would resolve the row, if the goal posts in the dispute continue to change.

    But Health Minister Simon Harris insists that's what needs to happen to avoid more strikes next week:

  • The Infection Prevention and Control Team at Mayo University Hospital (MUH) won two categories at the recent Hospital Professional Awards – the GSK Infectious Diseases Project of the Year Award and the Consultant-led Hospital Team of the Year Award.

    The team were successful in the Infectious Diseases Project of the Year for their work in improving patient safety in relation to CPE (an antibiotic resistant organism introduced into Ireland and spread in the healthcare system in recent years). 

    The Infection Prevention and Control Team is led by Consultant Microbiologist Dr Shomik Sibartie and the team won the Consultant-led Hospital Team of the Year Award for their daily engagement with nursing, medical, surgical, pharmacy and laboratory staff to ensure optimum care for all patients in the hospital.