Mayo Gardai

  • Gardai in Mayo seized more than 16,000 euro worth of drugs and one man was arrested, following searches of a number of houses in Castlebar, Ballina and Westport over the last number of days.

    The searches were all carried out under warrant by the members of the Divisional Drugs Task Force working with local gardai and detectives.

    On Sunday last a house in Castlebar town was searched and 1900 euro worth of cannabis herb was recovered.  No one was arrested, however, a person in their early 20s is assisting gardai with their enquiries.

    Then on Monday night last, Bank Holiday Monday, a house in Ballina town was searched and a number of cannabis plants, cannabis herb and a small quantity of cocaine was recovered, with an estimated street value of 13,300 euro. A man in his forties was arrested. He has since been released without charge and a file is being prepared for the DPP.

    On Tuesday two houses in a rural area of Castlebar were raided. In one house, gardai recovered 500 euro worth of cannabis herb. A male in his 40s is assisting gardai in their enquiries.

    In the second home, 300 euro worth of cannabis herb was found. A male in his fifties is assisting gardai in their enquiries.

    Then on the same day, in a rural area of Westport, a house was searched and 500 euro worth of cannabis herb was recovered.

    In this case two youths, under 18 years of age, are assisting gardai in their enquiries.

    Investigations are continuing in all these cases.

     

     

     

  • Garda Covid-19 checkpoints will return from 7am tomorrow morning.

    An Garda Síochána is to introduce a range of additional measures to support the policing of level 5 restrictions.

    Additional Gardaí will be deployed to the frontline along with 70 Garda trainees and 60 Garda reserves.

  • Gardai in Mayo are advising the general public to be vigilant for a new online scam in circulation.

    An email is being sent purporting to be from a parish priest in Mayo requesting to order a Google Play Card and looking for money to be sent on to help out a friend of his who is in distress.

    The message from Gardai is that this is a scam and do not reply to the email or transfer any money.

  • Mayo Gardai are urging the public to be on alert for scams, during the coronavirus outbreak.

    Chief Superintendent Tony Healy says 10 new Gardai have been deployed to the Mayo Garda Division, and Garda stations remain open as usual during Covid-19 to respond to any incidents.

    While streets are quieter than usual, the Chief Supt says crime continues to happen, and people should be on alert for bogus callers or online scams, as some criminals may use the current emergency to exploit others......

  • Gardai in Mayo are increasing their focus on prosecuting drivers suspected of being under the influence of drink or drugs in 2020, and in addition say they will be extending their focus on passengers in any vehicle where the driver is suspected of being under the influence of drugs.

    That’s according to Garda Superintendent Tom Calvey, who addressed the county Joint Policing Committee Meeting in Castlebar on Friday.

    Additional garda resources were put into the roads policing unit in the county last year (2019) and that has led to the number of people prosecuted for speeding to significantly increase last year compared to 2018, (2,818 in 2019 compared to 775 in 2018), the number of people fined for being on their mobile phone while driving has also almost trebled in that period, 118 in 2018 to 319 last year.

    Supt Calvey has been giving more details to Midwest News today.

  • Undercover Gardai in Mayo found five pubs in breach of Covid-19 guidelines yesterday, in relation to serving food with alcohol.

    Gardai in plain clothes visited 5 pubs across the county as part of Operation Navigation, and each of them was failing to comply with the regulations - which require that customers spend €9 euro on a substantial meal, when ordering alcohol.

    Supt Joe McKenna told Midwest News that a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions in each of these cases, and there is also the possibility of an objection being lodged against the renewal of the publicans' licences.

    As wet pubs reopen to customers today, Operation Navigation will continue to ensure guidelines are being followed in relation to social distancing.

     

  • Four motorists were arrested by Gardaí in Mayo over the Bank Holiday weekend in respect of drink driving offences, according to the Connaught Telegraph.

    New laws came into force on Friday to impose an automatic driving disqualification on offenders.

    Up until now, drivers caught with a blood alcohol concentration of between 50 and 80mg had a fine and penalty points imposed.

    The new provisions mean those drivers would be disqualified from driving for three months.

  • Gardai are urging Mayo and Dublin GAA fans to comply with covid-19 guidelines this Saturday when the two counties meet in the All-Ireland football final.

    They have been in touch with pubs in both counties to ensure that all regulations are followed before, during and after the game.

    High visibility patrols will be carried out by Gardai throughout the day in key locations in Mayo and Dublin.

    Gardai say there was a high level of compliance last weekend for the hurling final, and are hopeful they will see the same this weekend.

    Mayo based Superintendent Tony Healy says they are working with various organisations to minimise the spread of Covid-19 before, during and after the match.

    He says it’s important for people to enjoy the occasion but to so in a safe manner.

  • Gardai are examining CCTV footage following a fire at the Convent grounds in Westport on Saturday evening.

    The fire occurred in the Summer House on the convent site, which is owned by Mayo County Council.

    The fire services responded and brought the situation under control.

    Mayo County Council have CCTV systems in place at the property, and say Gardai are viewing the CCTV images as part of their investigation into the incident.

     

     

  • Gardaí in the North Western Region are appealing to the public to continue following public health regulations and guidelines for the next number of weeks.

    An Garda Síochána in Counties Mayo, Galway, Roscommon, Longford, Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth are asking everyone to play their part in preventing the spread of Covid-19.

    Speaking ahead of the next phase of Operation Fanacht, Assistant Commissioner for the North Western Region, Barry O’ Brien said "As a consequence of increased restrictions in Level 3 and the introduction of Level 4 restrictions in three of the counties, a detailed policing operation will be in place throughout the North Western Region to support the public efforts in reducing the spread of Covid-19. 

     

    "We will be continuing our Operation Fanacht checkpoints with particular focus on cross border traffic and inter-country traffic movement.  Whilst we understand that it can be frustrating to be delayed at these checkpoints our main objective is to stem the spread of Covid-19 and ultimately save lives.”

     

    "I want to re-assure the community of our continued availability to deal with existing demands to ensure that communities are kept safe and feel protected during this time. 

     

    "We will also continue our focus on Community Engagement through local community fora and should people have any concerns they should contact their local Garda Station or District Headquarters as appropriate.”

  • Gardai are out on patrol across Co Mayo to ensure that the public cooperate with the new restrictions announced on Friday night by Taoiseach Leo Varadker.

    For the next two weeks, people are only allowed to leave the homes for essential work, to buy food, attend medical appointments or for vital family reasons, or to take exercise within 2km of their home.

    People over the age of 70 and those deemed vulnerable are urged to stay at home and cocoon.

    The extra restrictions remain in place until Easter Sunday, when they will be reviewed.

    Mayo's Chief Superintendent Tony Healy says people should carry documentation with them if they need to travel to work or medical appointments, in the event of being stopped by a Garda.

    He told Midwest News says people are broadly abiding by the new restrictions, but Gardai have the power to intervene where there are breaches...

  • Gardaí investigating the production of a firearm in Swinford on Wednesday have today arrested a man.

    Gardaí from the Claremorris Community Engagement area, the Mayo Crime Unit, and the armed support unit carried out a search of a property in Swinford town at approximately 11am this morning.

    During the course of the search Gardaí seized firearms and offensive weapons (subject to examination).  

    A man in his late 20s was arrested at the scene and is currently detained at Ballina Garda Station under the provisions of Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act 1939.

    Investigations are ongoing.

  • Mayo Gardai are advising motorists that extra checkpoints will be in place across the county over the Easter weekend, as they clamp down on drink-driving, speeding and using mobile phones while driving.

    All road users are asked to exercise caution to ensure a safe weekend on roads.

    Inspector Dermot Butler of the Mayo Roads Policing Unit and told Midwest News that an additional 6 members - a sergeant and five Gardai -  were assigned to the Roads Policing Unit last week, and will be working out of Swinford.

  • Mayo Gardai are appealing for builders yards, building sites and other commercial premises to be locked up securely over the Christmas holidays.

    Many construction companies will be finishing up tomorrow for the festive season, and Gardai are advising that tools and other equipment should be secured.

    Westport Gardai are continuing to investigate two burglaries which occurred over the first weekend of December.

    A lock-up was broken into at Westport United grounds with equipment worth over €30,000 stolen, including lawnmower, strimmers and power tools, while a white Isuzu lorry was stolen from a premises at the Westport Industrial Park the same weekend.

    Garda Tony McCabe of Westport Garda Station says builders in particular should secure their premises over the Christmas holidays....

  • Pope Francis' visit to Ireland cost 4.2 million euro in Garda overtime, according to new figures.

    The Pontiff's 38-hour visit to Dublin and Knock came before mass in the Phoneix Park last August.

    His trip to Knock Shrine  contributed to Mayo's Garda overtime bill increasing by 19 per cent. 

  •  

    Gardai in Mayo are advising the public to be aware of scam calls circulating across the county today.

    The caller identifies themselves as being from the Dept of Social Protection and goes on to tell the person that they have called, that  he /she is under investigation.

    Gardai say in all cases so far reported to them, the person receiving the call has quickly cut off the scam call, and has contacted the gardai.

    In the cases reported today - the number used by the scammers all began with 083

    Gardai are warning the general public to be on the alert and not to give any personal details to anyone over the phone.

    The advice is to immediately hang up if you are suspicious, and report the incident to the gardai.