investigation

  • Gardaí in Castlerea are appealing for witnesses after a garda who attempted to stop two men was allegedly attacked by them while he was on patrol in the early hours of yesterday morning.

    The incident happened at around 1am yesterday (Sunday) morning when the garda tried to stop and detain two men in the Roselawn area of Castlerea.

    The garda had been on patrol with two colleagues when they responded to a suspected burglary.

    While his colleagues searched the immediate area, the other garda searched further afield where he then encountered two men who he requested to stop.

    The men are reported to have resisted being detained and allegedly attacked the garda who had to call for backup.

    The garda, as well as the two men he was trying to detain, were later treated in hospital for injuries which were described as "not life threatening".

    They were all later discharged.

    The alleged attackers are in their 30s and 60s.

    Investigations into the incident are ongoing and no arrests have been made.

    Gardaí are appealing for witnesses to contact them at Castlerea Station on 0949621630 or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.

  • A number of wild boar were discovered at a Coillte plantation in west Mayo.

    The Irish Farmers Journal reports that the five young boar were found at the plantation at Tanyard, Westport. The pigs were not tagged and so their origin could not be determined.

    The National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) has launched an investigation following the find. There are concerns that the release of the boar into the wild could lead to the spread of disease and potentially have a detrimental impact on wildlife and habitats.

    Wild boar can be vectors for African Swine Fever. The disease can result in devastating losses for pig farmers and the pig industry in affected countries. 

    The young boar discovered in Tanyard were removed from the area and later euthanised.

  •  

    Tuam Home Survivors Network say they are devastated at the further one year extension announced this week by Minister Zappone, extended to the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes.

    Secretary of the network, Breeda Murphy, says that a year delay for a person in their eighties now waiting on that report, and who’s experience in a Mother and Baby Home has had a lifelong impact on their lives, is a very long time.

    The Tuam Home Survivors Network had to read in the paper earlier this month that the Commission of Investigation was likely to be given a year extension, but was not informed of the delay directly from the Minister or her Department, Ms Murphy say.

    In addition, she says even when that report is concluded it is looking at the site and what happened in Tuam, but it does not deal with the effects on the lives of its survivors.

    Speaking to Midwest News Breeda says that an interim report on the status of survivors of Tuam’s Mother and Baby home is urgently required now, in the short term,  and she has been explaining the impact of the year extension to the Commission of Investigation and how it was announced earlier this week, on former residents of Tuam’s Mother and Baby Home.