Gardai

  • A 68 year old woman has died following a crash in Roscommon last night.

    The three car collision happened on the N63 Lanesboro to Roscommon road at around 9:45pm.

    The victim was pronounced dead at the scene and her body was removed to the mortuary at Roscommon Hospital.

    The two drivers of the other vehicles were brought to hospital with non life threatening injuries.

    Gardaí are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

  • 78 complaints were made about Gardai in the Mayo division last year, according to the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission.

    The GSCO annual report for 2017 was published this week and shows almost 2,000 complaints were received nationally - which was up 10% on the previous year.

    In this region, there were 78 allegations made against Gardai in Mayo, 153 in galway, 101 in the Roscommon/ Longford Garda Division and 66 in Sligo / Leitrim.

    The most common complaints related to abuse of authority, neglect of duty and discourtesy.

  • A nine year old girl has died and a 7 year old boy is seriously injured, following a collision with a car, while cycling in County Galway. 

    Gardai are currently at the scene, on the Ballinasloe to Ahascragh Road. 

    The collision happened shortly before noon today. 

    Both children were taken to Portiuncula Hospital where the 9 year old girl was later pronounced dead. 

    The 7 year old boy remains in a serious condition. 

    The road is currently closed for a forensic examination and Gardaí are appealing for anyone with information to contact Ballinasloe Garda Station on 0909 631890.

  • A competitor has been killed in the Donegal International Rally this afternoon.

    It happened at 12:30pm on Super Stage 15 on the Fanad Head Loop.

    The first three stages have been cancelled.

    Gardai are at the scene.

  • A man in his 50s has been arrested in connection with a multi million euro VAT fraud investigation. 

    Gardai say since 2016, almost 30 million euro has been identified moving through banks accounts linked to several companies here and in the North by an organised crime gang.

    The money was then transferred to accounts in a number of foreign jurisdictions. 

    A suspect arrested on Tuesday, is the second person to be held in connection with the investigation. 

    He's being questioned at Castlrea garda station in Co. Roscommon.

  • Gardai have confirmed to Midwest News that they are investigating an incident of criminal damage and assault at a house at Falsk, Roscommon in the early hours of this morning.

    Gardai say that the incident occurred at around 5.30am. Reports suggest a large number of men entered the property early this morning.

    Gardai say a number of people were injured during the incident, and three required hospital treatment.

    A number of vehicles were set on fire and a dog was also seriously injured and had to be put down as a result.

    This follows on from a statement by Deputy Michael Fitzmaurice to the Dail earlier this week, in which he said a group of up to 30 men, believed to be working on behalf of a third party, removed three people living at the property and secured it earlier this week.

    Investigations into last night’s incident are ongoing.

  • As we begin the May Bank Holiday weekend, Gardai are advising that there will be extra checkpoints across county Mayo in the coming days, and motorists are urged to wear seatbelts, stay within the speed limit, and not to drink and drive.

    Last year over the May Bank Holiday weekend, 186 people across the country were arrested for drink-driving offences.

    Mayo Gardai are also launching a new road safety campaign this weekend, aimed at motorcyclists.

    Since 2010, 7 people have died in Co Mayo in motorcycle collisions, while the number nationally stands at 168.

    Superintendent Joe McKenna of Castlebar Garda Station told Midwest News today thar motorcyclists can be vulnerable on the roads. 

  • The Garda Ombudsman Commission is investigating an incident in Castlerea in the early hours of Sunday morning in which a Garda was allegedly assaulted.

    The incident occurred at about 1am on Sunday morning, when a Garda was allegedly assaulted by two men at Roselawn, Castlerea.

    The male Garda and the suspected offenders were taken to hospital.

    The matter has now been referred to GSOC, under Section 102 of the Garda Act 2005.

    A spokesperson for the Garda Ombudsman has confirmed to Midwest News that the incident has been referred to them, and is being examined to determine if an investigation is warranted into the circumstances involved.

     

     

  • Gardai are appealing to all dog owners to ensure their dogs are kept under control as almost 50 incidents of dog attacks on livestock have been reported over the past 3 months.

    Since March, seven incidents of dogs worrying livestock were reported to Gardaí in the Sligo /Leitrim division - in one of these cases, a dog attacked seven sheep on a Co Leitrim farm.
    The owner had to pay damages to the farmer and the dog then had to be put down.
    There was one such incident reported in Mayo, 6 in Galway and 4 in the Roscommon / Longford division.
    Gardaí have now issued an appeal for owners to control their pets.

    Prosecution under Section 9 of the Control of Dogs Act could result in one month in prison and / or a €600 fine.

     

  • The army bomb disposal unit were called to deal with a suspected viable explosive device on Dooagh beach in Achill last night.

    Gardaí were alerted when a walker spotted the suspicious device shortly after 9pm last night. The area was sealed off overnight by several units of the Achill coast guard until the bomb disposal unit arrived.

    The army bomb disposal unit from Athlone arrived on the scene at around 5am. this morning and removed the object from the beach.

    It has since been confirmed that the device was a marine flare. After being assessed it was removed for destruction.

  • Gardai and the Army's bomb disposal team have been dealing with a suspect device this morning in the Mount Assumpta area of Ballina.

    The Army's EOD team has now left the scene and taken the device with them for further examination to determine if it's viable.

    Gardai say roads in the area have now reopened, and their enquiries are ongoing into the discovery of the suspect device in the early hours of this morning.

     

    It's understood the alarm was raised at about 3am, the area was sealed off, and a number of residents were evacuated overnight.

    They're now returning to their homes, while schools in the area are open as normal this morning.

     

     

     

     

  • Three people have been taken to hospital following a two car collision near Claremorris this morning.

    The N60 Balla to Claremorris road at Mossbrook remains closed to traffic.

    The collision between a car and a van occurred at around 6.30am this morning.

    Emergency services are currently at the scene.

    Three people have been taken to hospital where one person is thought to be in a serious condition.

    Gardai say the road will remain closed until at least midday and diversions are in place.

  • Gardai in Ballina are appealing for information, following a house fire last night.

    The alarm was raised at about 10.30 pm, and emergency services attended the scene of the blaze at a vacant house in the Carra area of Bonniconlon.

    Extensive damage was caused to the property, and Gardai believe the fire may have been started deliberately.

    Anyone who noticed anything suspicious in the area, or has any information in relation to the incident, is asked to contact Ballina Gardai at 096 - 20560.

     

  • Gardai in Ballina are investigating what's described as “a serious incident” that occurred on the Killala Road, Ballina on Thursday night, or the early hours of last Friday morning (July 25/26th).

    An alleged sexual assault occurred on a woman aged in her mid thirties, and an aggravated burglary occurred at approximately 4am. 

    Gardai are appealing to anybody who may have witnessed anyone acting suspiciously or any car acting suspiciously in the area in the early hours of last Friday morning, particularly between 3 and 4am  to contact Ballina Garda station on 096 20560 or the Garda confidential Line at 1800 666 111.

     

  • Gardai in Ballina are investigating an alleged hit & run traffic collision last Friday morning.

    An elderly man was knocked down on Bury Street in the town between 9.40 and 9.50am on Friday morning last, 13th Sept.

    Gardai say the incident occurred at a busy time of the morning, and are asking any witnesses to come forward to assist in their investigation.

    Gardai are particularly interested in speaking with the driver of a truck who was at the scene at the time of the collision.

    Anyone with information is asked to contact Ballina Garda Station at 096 - 20560 or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.

     

  • Gardai have confirmed that the Ballymote to Gurteen road in Sligo has reopened.

    The road was closed for a time earlier this morning after a lorry overturned, emergency services attended the scene and diversions were in place.

    Gardai say no serious injuries were sustained in the incident, and the road has reopened.

     

     

  • Gardai in Belmullet are appealing for witnesses, following an incident of criminal damage to a Defibrillator in the early hours of yesterday morning.

    The incident occurred on Barrack Street in the town sometime between 2.30 and 8am on Monday morning.

    Anyone with information is asked to contact Gardai in Belmullet at 097 - 81910.

     

     

  • A body has been found by Gardaí investigating the disappearance of 30-year-old Natalia Karaczyn in Sligo.

    Ms Karaczyn has been missing from her home at Crozon Park in Sligo town since early Sunday.

    The discovery was made around 10am in the Holywell Road area on the outskirts of Sligo town. 

    A wooded area close to Lough Gill has been sealed off.

    This morning a man who was being questioned about her disappearance was released without charge.

    The 32-year-old man was released from Ballymote Garda Station early this morning.

  • The body discovered on a beach in Galway earlier this week has been identified as that of missing man Robert Murray.

    A search had been underway for a number of weeks for the 25-year old missing from Salthill.

    His body was found on Renmore beach on Monday evening and removed to University Hospital Galway for post-mortem examination.

    Gardai say foul play is not suspected, and a file will be prepared for the Coroner.

    Meanwhile Galway Gardai are continuing to appeal for information on Roland Mitchell.

    The 26-year old from Fr Griffin Road in Galway was last seen on Saturday evening last, and his family are concerned for his wellbeing.

     

  • A motorcyclist has been killed in a crash involving a school bus in Co Leitrim.

    It happened this morning in Cloone.

    This crash, between a motorcyclist and school bus, happened on the Cloone-Fenagh road just before 8 am.

    The motorcyclist, who is in his 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene.

    His body has been removed to Sligo University hospital for a post-mortem exam.

    The bus driver was taken to the same hospital to be treated for shock.

    Bus Eireann has confirmed that five children were on board the bus at the time of the incident, but they were not injured.