Covid 19

  • Mayo County Council has launched a new helpline today, to assist people in accessing non-emergency supports and advice during the Covid-19 emergency.

    The confidential phoneline service is being established by the new Covid-19 Mayo County Council Community Response Forum, which includes over a dozen agencies and organisations.

    The main aim of the helpline is to ensure that vulnerable members of the community across Co mayo or those living alone can access deliveries of groceries, medicine and fuel.

    The helpline number is 094 - 9064660 and is open from 8am to 8pm.

  • Very few children have been impacted by Covid-19, according to a Consultant Paediatrician at Mayo University Hospital.

    Professor Michael O'Neill says the impact of the virus on children has been limited over the last number of months, and they've seen very few affected children at the Castlebar hospital.

    Professor O'Neill made his comments in a statement to Midwest News, announcing that the team at Mayo University Hospital have resumed the Paediatric Clinics, and have put a number of new measures in place to ensure the clinics can be run safely during the pandemic.

    A system is now in place that allows GPs to contact the Paediatric Unit for an hour in the mornings, to discuss their patients directly with the consultant and decide whether or not a child needs to be referred to hospital and to plan for any tests or x-rays a child might need.

    The Paediatric team have also developed a virtual clinic where they contact parents by video-conferencing the discuss their child's care, so parents and children do not have to attend the hospital if it's not considered clinically necessary.

    While face-to-face clinics have resumed, the number of children being seen is being managed, and as the paediatric outpatient area opens onto a parking area, children can remain in the car with their parents until it's their time to be seen.

     

  • The Mayo GAA Team Doctor says while it’s great to see the return of competitive action, it is important not to get complacent.

    Dr Sean Moffatt, chair of Gaelic Athletic Medics Association and Mayo team doctor, is a member of the GAA Covid Advisory Group.

    Dr. Moffatt has called on players, officials and supporters ‘to be smart’ and to adhere to public health advice at all times.

    He says outdoor activity is safe in terms of contracting the Covid 19 virus and says there is wider benefits to society with having sport up and running.

    Dr. Moffatt joined Michael D. McAndrew on Sunday Sport today to discuss the return of competitive action this weekend in more details.

     

    https://soundcloud.com/user-962236350/dr-sean-moffatt

  • A class at an East Mayo School has been sent home following a confirmed case of Covid-19.

    The school principal has confirmed that a pupil in one of the junior classes received notification of a positive Covid-19 test today.

    Parents of the children in the affected class and the HSE were immediately notified and children were sent home.

    It’s understood the pupils in the affected class have been directed to remain at home and restrict their movements for 14 days and parents were advised if their children begin to show symptoms of the virus to contact their GP immediately.

  • An urgent review is needed of the SUSI grant scheme for third-level education - particularly in light of Covid-19.

    That's according to Mayo TD Rose Conway-Walsh, the Sinn Fein spokesperson on Higher Education.

    The Erris-based TD says it makes no sense for applicants to be assessed on last year's income, given the number of people whose income has been significantly reduced since the start of the pandemic.

    She also believes the thresholds to avail of SUSI grants are too low, and that people should be assessed on their net income, rather than gross income.

    Deputy Conway-Walsh claims many working families are excluded from SUSI and are being pushed into poverty trying to send their children to college.

    The Sinn Fein TD said she raised the matter in the Dáil with Tanaiste Leo Varadker, to highlight the need for an urgent review of the SUSI grant scheme.

  • Agriculture Minister Dara Calleary says his department is working on revising health protocols for meat processing plants.

    SIPTU will meet with the Meat Industry later today to discuss the outbreak among workers at meat plants.

    Three of four meat processing plants in the midlands are not  reopening today, after recent outbreaks of Covid-19.

    It's after hundreds of new cases at the facilities has led to a localised lockdown in Kildare, Laois and Offaly.

    150 workers tested positive for the virus at Kildare Chilling, 86 at O'Brien Fine Foods in Timahoe and nine at the Irish Dog Food Factory in Naas.

    Carroll Cuisine in Tullamore, which has reported nine cases, will re-open but is undergoing a deep-clean.

    An additional 68 cases of Covid-19 nationally were confirmed yesterday with no additional deaths. None of the cases were in any county of Connaught.

    Nineteen were located in Kildare, 17 in Dublin, 15 in Offaly, 12 in Laois and five in Donegal

     

  • Restrictions on movement will not be lifted on Easter Sunday.

    While the National Public Health Emergency Team have yet to make a formal recommendation to extend the measures, the Health Minister says it's highly unlikely they will be relaxed.

    The NPHET is meeting today to discuss restrictions but won't make a final call until Friday.

    Minister Simon Harris says the measures are working and need to stay in place.

     

  • The Manager of Mayo University Hospital Catherine Donohoe has again today stated that there is no crossover between patients with confirmed or suspected cases of Covid 19 and non Covid patients at the hospital. She says there are two pathways of care in place.

    “One pathway is to cater for patients with COVID-19 and suspected COVID-19 patients. The second pathway is for non COVID-19 patients. A clinical decision, which is made by the treating doctor, determines which pathway is appropriate for patients. The appropriate infection prevention and control measures are in place for each pathway according to national HPSC guidance for healthcare settings”.

    Midwest News had sought a response from the Saolta group to the allegation uncovered under a Freedom of Information request by the leader of Aontu, Peadar Toibin. The documents show a complaint lodged that a cancer patient suffering the side effects of chemotherapy was placed in a Covid-19 ward at Mayo University Hospital on May 1st.

    In her written response to Midwest News today, Ms Donoghue explains “ we cannot comment on individual cases. Maintaining confidentiality is not only an ethical requirement for the HSE and all HSE funded hospitals; it is also a legal requirement as defined in GDPR”.

    She continues, “I encourage any patient or their family members who have concerns or questions in relation to their care to contact the hospital directly. We have complaints and feedback processes in place and we welcome and encourage feedback, suggestions or opportunities to bring the perspectives and lived experiences of patients and families into the planning and delivery of care.

    All complaints received are dealt with promptly and I respond directly to the patients or families and welcome any further correspondence. All complaints received during the month of May have been addressed and responded to.

     I would like to reassure patients of Mayo University Hospital and their families that we have an excellent Infection Prevention and Control Team at the hospital who work daily with nursing, medical, surgical, pharmacy and laboratory staff to ensure optimum care for all patients in the hospital. The team provides ongoing training to staff and visit the wards every day to make sure correct infection prevention and control procedures are in place”.

    The statement concludes “staff do not treat patients with COVID-19 as well as non COVID-19 patients. Patients are moved from the COVID-19 pathway when clinically deemed appropriate to do so”.

     

  • The Department of Health has announced 98 more cases of the coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases to 29,303.

    No more people have died from Covid-19 in Ireland, meaning the death toll remains at 1,777.

    The breakdown of yesterday’s cases is: 24 in Dublin, 13 in Kildare, eight in Kerry, six in Kilkenny, six in Limerick, six in Louth and five in Tipperary.

    The remaining 30 cases are in Galway, Leitrim, Carlow, Clare, Cork, Laois, Longford, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Waterford and Wexford.

    Meanwhile, the company running the Corrib Gas field has confirmed that three UK-based contractors, working at the terminal in Bellanaboy in North Mayo, have tested positive for Covid-19. 

    Vermilion Exploration & Production has said the workers were among a group of 70 people engaged to carry out maintenance works at the terminal in recent weeks. All travelled here from abroad. 

    The company says that the individuals, all of whom were asymptomatic were tested on the same day they arrived in Ireland and restricted their movements while awaiting results. One of the positive cases was returned earlier this week and two were confirmed yesterday.

  • 174 people have tested positive for Covid-19 in the latest official data -- most of them in the three counties put under lockdown.

    It's the largest number of confirmed cases reported in Ireland in one day since May, and brings the total number infected to date in Ireland to over 26-thousand six hundred.

    Another patient infected with the virus has also died.

    There were 110 cases recorded in Kildare, 27 in Dublin, seven in Cork, seven in Offaly and six in Meath. The remaining cases were spread across 13 other counties, of which Mayo is one.

    Cases have also been reported in neighbouring Galway and Roscommon after several days where none had been reported in the whole of Connacht.

  • It comes after 84 cases of COVID-19 were confirmed by health officials yesterday evening, with 3 further deaths.

    There were new cases in Mayo, Galway & Roscommon.

    A Primary School in East Mayo and a school in Sligo both sent home classes yesterday following confirmation of a positive case of Covid-19 in each school.

    A pupil in one of the junior classes at the Mayo School received notification of a positive Covid-19 test yesterday.

    Parents of the children in the affected class and the HSE were immediately notified and children were sent home.

    It’s understood the pupils in the affected class have been directed to remain at home and restrict their movements for 14 days and parents were advised if their children begin to show symptoms of the virus to contact their GP immediately.

    Meanwhile, St Patrick’s National School in Calry, County Sligo, has confirmed it has one confirmed case of Covid-19.

    The school, which remains open, says it is following HSE guidelines and is adhering to HSE recommendations.

  • A new Covid-19 alert system will introduce local lockdowns based on the level of infections in a county or region.

    The government is due to publish the plan which will include five levels of restrictions.

    The Irish Independent reports that the levels will be set out depending on a variety of factors including the number of new cases per 100 thousand people.

  • There are another 136 cases of Covid-19 in the Republic and one more death.

    Of the cases confirmed yesterday evening, 51 are in Dublin and 24 in Kildare.

    The remainder are spread over 15 other counties.

    There are 12 in Kilkenny, 11 in Tipperary, 7 in Cork, 6 in Limerick, 6 in Wexford, 5 in Meath and the remaining 14 cases are in Mayo, Roscommon, Galway, Carlow, Cavan, Donegal, Offaly, Waterford and Wicklow.

  • A public health expert says the health service should be doing a hundred thousand Covid-19 tests a week as a matter of routine -- not as its absolute maximum.

    Testing in high-risk workplaces was suspended this week after over 20-thousand people were referred by their GPs on Monday and Tuesday.

    It comes as 196 more people tested positive for the virus -- 107 of them in Dublin alone.

    There were also new cases in Mayo, Galway, Roscommon and Leitrim.

    Anthony Staines, Professor of health systems at DCU says officials shouldn't be relying on medical scientists working overtime for 100-thousand tests a week.

  • For the 5th day in a row there was no increase yesterday in the number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Mayo  and it was the same across the region, with no additional cases of Covid-19 recorded in Connacht over the past 24 hours.

    Nationally, one person diagnosed with Covid-19 died yesterday in the Republic

    Officials at the Department of Health say 11 further cases were also confirmed.

    The pandemic death toll here how stands at 1,727,  with 25,405 people known to have contracted the disease.

    An infectious diseases expert says travel should continue to be restricted to England and the US next month.

    The government's decided to allow foreign travel to resume between some countries from July 9th.

    The Taoiseach says a 'green list' of states will be put together - and these would be exempt from the 14-day quarantine rule.

    People will also be allowed travel anywhere in Ireland from Monday.

    Professor Sam McConkey, from the RCSI, says international travel should be re-introduced very cautiously.

    During last night's announcement, the government also confirmed face coverings are to be mandatory on public transport.

    Some self-employed people are to be given grants of up to 1,000 euro to help restart their businesses.

    Social Protection Minister Regina Doherty also says the school meals programme will continue during the summer holidays.

  • The number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Mayo remains unchanged for the 4th day in a row, at 572.

    There are currently no confirmed or suspected cases being treated at Mayo University Hospital, according to the latest data from the HSE.

    Across the region, there are no additional cases of Covid-19 recorded in Connacht over the past 24 hours.

    Nationally, 5 more cases were confirmed yesterday with 6 further deaths.

    1,726 people in the Republic of Ireland have now died from Covid-19 related deaths.

     

  • There have been no further deaths from Covid-19 while four deaths have been de-notified, bringing the death toll here to 1,738.

    There were 11 additional cases reported to the Department of Health while seven cases were de-notified. The total number of confirmed cases here is now 25,542.

    Meanwhile, there are 12 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in hospitals, according to the latest figures from the Health Service Executive.

    Most hospitals have no confirmed cases at this point.

    There have been no new cases of Covid-19 in Mayo for an eight consecutive day with the confirmed number remaining at 572.

    The number of confirmed cases in Galway is 487, 346 in Roscommon, 146 in Sligo and there are 82 in Leitrim.

    Meanwhile, More than one million people have downloaded the Covid Tracker App in the space of 48 hours.

    The HSE launched it on Monday evening, after it cost over 850,000 euro to develop.

    It identifies users who've been within two metres of a confirmed case and notifies them through their smartphone.

  • An additional 54 cases of coronavirus and two further deaths have been reported to the Department of Health.

    There has now been a total of 1,775 Covid-19 related deaths in Ireland and 27,547 cases.

    Of the cases notified yesterday evening, 27 are associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case, while eight are from community transmission.

    There are no new cases reported in Connacht.

    There were 19 cases in Dublin, eight in Kildare, five in Tipperary and the rest of the cases are in Carlow, Clare, Donegal, Kerry, Kilkenny, Laois, Limerick, Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Waterford and Wexford.

  • There are 17 new confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Ireland and one further death.

    There are no new cases in Connacht.

    Mayo’s total of Covid cases remains at 574 and there has been just one new case in the past week.

    Meanwhile, it is believed that we'll have to wait until the first part of next year before Covid-19 vaccines are widely deployed.

    The World Health Organisation says researchers are making good progress.

    But out of more than 150 trials, only a tiny fraction are at the stage of assessing their vaccine's effectiveness.

  • 92 new cases of Covid-19 were confirmed in Ireland last night but there were no new deaths associated with the virus.

    72 percent of those new were detected in people under the age of 45.

    There are no new confirmed cases in any of the five Connacht counties.

    Out of the 92 new cases, 48 are women and 43 are men.

    The National Public Health Emergency Team also says 43 of the cases reported are associated with a known outbreak of the virus or are a close contact of a confirmed case.

    12 are associated with community transmission

    Dublin and Kildare had the highest number of newly reported cases at 24 each.

    Meanwhile as we approach week 2 of the local lockdown in three midland counties, the figures show that out of 904 cases over the last 14 days, Kildare had 325, Offaly 136 and Laois had 63.