Covid 19

  • The GAA will meet next week to discuss what the extended Covid 19 restrictions will mean for the inter county season.

    As things stand, there's no plan to restructure the Leagues, but they may not start until the end of March.

    Counties are set to be given at least four weeks pre-season training.

    The leagues had been scheduled to begin on the last weekend of February.

    It’s likely that the knock-on effect of this delay would see the All-Ireland finals moved from mid-July to August.

  • Gaelic Games bodies will receive almost €31-million euro to help battle the impact of COVID-19.

    15-million alone will help cover the cost of the respective inter-county championships.

    It’s all part of an 85-million euro package announced by Sport Ireland.

  • The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has this evening been notified of 52 additional deaths related to Covid-19.

    33 of these deaths occurred in February, 12 occurred in January, 6 in December or earlier and 1 is still under investigation.

    The median age of those who died was 83 years and the age range was 55 - 96 years.

    As of midnight last night (Wednesday) 866  new cases of the virus were confirmed in the Republic.

    There were 28 new cases of Covid 19 in Mayo, 63 in Galway, 14 in Roscommon, 8 in Sligo and less than 5 in Leitrim

  • The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 57 additional deaths related to Covid-19.

    34 of these deaths occurred in February, 21 in January, 1 in December and 1 in November.

    The median age of those who died was 82 years and the age range was 52-99 years.

    As of midnight last night (Tuesday) 650 new cases of the virus were confirmed in the Republic.

    Of the cases notified today 53 were in Galway, 17 in Mayo, less than 5 cases in counties Sligo and Roscommon and none in county Leitrim.

  • The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 54 additional deaths related to Covid-19.

    45 of these deaths occurred in February, 5 occurred in January and 4 are still under investigation.

    The median age of those who died was 86 years and the age range was 48 - 104 years.

    As of midnight last, Tuesday, 1,006  new cases of the virus were confirmed in the Republic.

    Galway had the third highest number of cases nationally at 46. There were 8 new cases in Mayo, 7 in Sligo, and less than 5 in both Roscommon and Leitrim.

     

  • The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 47 additional deaths related to Covid-19.

    44 of these deaths occurred in February, 2 occurred in January and 1 in December.

     

    As of midnight last night (Wed) 901 new cases of the virus were confirmed in the Republic.

    Of the cases notified today  - 437 were in Dublin, 49 in Limerick, 43 in Galway, 39 in Kildare, 32 in Meath and the remaining 301 cases are spread across all other counties.

    There were 27 new cases in Mayo, 9 in Leitrim, 7 in Roscommon, 5 in Sligo.

     

  • There’s an urgent need to ramp up the HSE Covid response team to immediately deal with a crisis in staffing that can occur in a nursing home when more than 90 percent of residents and staff at a facility contract Covid 19.

    That’s the view of Ballinasloe based Fine Gael Senator Aisling Dolan

    The Director of Nursing at the Nightingale Nursing Home in Ahascragh, in East Galway, yesterday stated that they felt abandoned after a major Covid cluster was discovered in the nursing home earlier this week.

    26 of the 28 residents of the private nursing home have now tested positive for the virus and one person has died. More than 90 percent of staff at the home also contracted the virus, leading to a crisis in staffing.

    The HSE says today it is providing extra staff support to the nursing home but it’s believed that assistance is limited.

    Senator Aisling Dolan says private nursing homes need additional support during this pandemic.

  • Galway is the only Connaught county that reported any new confirmed cases of Covid 19 yesterday.

    Nationally 240 new cases of the virus were confirmed, with half of those cases occurring in Dublin.

    One person with the virus died.

    The cabinet is expected to approve moving Dublin to level three Covid-19 restrictions this evening.

    Some additional restrictions are expected on top of the level three guidelines.

    This morning the cabinet sub-committee on COVID will meet to consider the advice from the National Public Health Emergency Team to escalate restrictions in Dublin.

    The capital will be moved to level three on the new roadmap, with an expectation there may be some additional measures.

    Under level three pubs that don't serve food are allowed to open, but they will remain shut in Dublin.

    People won't be allowed to leave the county unless it's for work, education or other essential reasons.

    It's expected to be similar restrictions on anyone entering Dublin.

    The amount of people attending weddings and funerals will be reduced to 25.

    Religious services like Mass will move online.

    Visitors from one other household only will be allowed in your home or garden.

    No organised indoor gatherings can take place - and all matches will be cancelled with the exception of professional sport and senior GAA intercounty or club games.

    Non-contact training can continue in pods of less than 15.

    There will be further restrictions on hotels, bars and restaurants and people will be advised to work from home.

    The official announcement won't come until this evening, with the regulations expected to take effect from midnight.

  • Gardai are urging Mayo and Dublin GAA fans to comply with covid-19 guidelines this Saturday when the two counties meet in the All-Ireland football final.

    They have been in touch with pubs in both counties to ensure that all regulations are followed before, during and after the game.

    High visibility patrols will be carried out by Gardai throughout the day in key locations in Mayo and Dublin.

    Gardai say there was a high level of compliance last weekend for the hurling final, and are hopeful they will see the same this weekend.

    Mayo based Superintendent Tony Healy says they are working with various organisations to minimise the spread of Covid-19 before, during and after the match.

    He says it’s important for people to enjoy the occasion but to so in a safe manner.

  • Gardaí have used their Covid-19 enforcement powers the most in the North Western Region since regulations came in to force.

    A new report shows gardai have used their powers 702 times since April, with action required on 242 occasions in the North West Garda Region, which involves ten counties, including Galway and Louth.

    Over the past month, there were 31 incidents of people spitting or coughing at Gardai recorded.

    The Policing Authority says anti-spit hoods were used 6 times in that time.

  • Gardaí in the North Western Region are appealing to the public to continue following public health regulations and guidelines for the next number of weeks.

    An Garda Síochána in Counties Mayo, Galway, Roscommon, Longford, Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth are asking everyone to play their part in preventing the spread of Covid-19.

    Speaking ahead of the next phase of Operation Fanacht, Assistant Commissioner for the North Western Region, Barry O’ Brien said "As a consequence of increased restrictions in Level 3 and the introduction of Level 4 restrictions in three of the counties, a detailed policing operation will be in place throughout the North Western Region to support the public efforts in reducing the spread of Covid-19. 

     

    "We will be continuing our Operation Fanacht checkpoints with particular focus on cross border traffic and inter-country traffic movement.  Whilst we understand that it can be frustrating to be delayed at these checkpoints our main objective is to stem the spread of Covid-19 and ultimately save lives.”

     

    "I want to re-assure the community of our continued availability to deal with existing demands to ensure that communities are kept safe and feel protected during this time. 

     

    "We will also continue our focus on Community Engagement through local community fora and should people have any concerns they should contact their local Garda Station or District Headquarters as appropriate.”

  • Entire schools may not need to close if there's an outbreak of COVID in the classroom under the government's new back to school plan.

    Outbreaks will be handled individually by a COVID officer within the school following public health guidelines.

    Children from junior infants to second class won't have to observe social distancing and all others will have to be spaced a metre from their classmates.

    375 million euro in funding has been made available including money to recruit more than 1,000 teachers to reduce class sizes.

    Money has also been made available for minor works for schools to adapt their classrooms to allow capacity.

    Taoiseach Michael Martin says it's a major logistical challenge.

  • People will be allowed to travel anywhere within their county under a further easing of lockdown measures from Monday.

    It goes beyond the planned extension of movement to 20 kilometres.

    Cabinet Ministers met this morning and approved new measures to take effect from Monday that will allow people to move anywhere within their own counties.

    The original plan for phase two was that people would be allowed to move 20 kilometres away from their homes.

    But there was concern that for people in more isolated rural areas that would mean little change from the last phase.

    It's understood the government has also approved scrapping the movement limit entirely from the end of June.

    While there has been proposals to examine opening pubs and hotels earlier than planned in order to allow them to try to make some benefit of the summer season.

    Those are among the major deviations from the roadmap plan originally announced.

    People will be allowed to go into each other's homes from Monday in small, socially distanced groups.

    It's expected playgrounds will re-open - and that there will be announcements on summer camps and visitation to nursing homes.

    A full announcement on the roadmap will come this afternoon.

  • A government minister says there's 'no plan' to extend school closures at mid term as part of measures to tackle Covid-19.

    It had been mentioned at cabinet earlier this week that closing them for two weeks as opposed to one at Halloween could help slow the virus down.

    Junior Minister at the Department of Education Niall Collins says all of the public health advice shows schools aren't a major factor in the recent surge.

    He says extending the mid-term break isn't on the cards.

  • The leaders of the three coalition parties will meet later today to discuss placing the country back into a six week lockdown.

    NPHET has recommended Level 5 restrictions for the entire country.

    1,000 new cases of Covid-19 and three more deaths were confirmed yesterday.

    75 of the cases were in Galway, 34 in Sligo, 26 in Mayo, 18 in Leitrim and seven in Roscommon.

  • Government Ministers are reportedly considering allowing pubs to open after level 5, as long as they shut by 10pm.

    The Sunday Times reports that there's a 'political appetite' to open the pubs and restaurants, in an attempt to stop private parties from happening.

    Measures included could mean closing off licences earlier than pubs and limiting the number of customers at a table to just four people.

  • The government has warned the country is at a 'tipping point' as new restrictions come into effect to tackle the spread of Covid-19.

    Public transport should now be avoided where possible and those over 70 are being asked to restrict their social circles.

    Visitors into homes are now limited to six people from three households while outdoor gatherings of no more than 15 are allowed.

    Gardaí are also to be given greater powers to enforce the rules.

    All measures are to remain in effect until September 13th and come as 190 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed.

    There are no new cases of the virus in Connacht.

  • The government won't decide until Monday at the earliest if it's going to put Ireland to level five public health restrictions.

    Talks at government buildings have wrapped up for the night after hours of briefings from senior public health officials.

    Speaking as he left the meeting, Green Party leader Eamon Ryan said the Goverment shares concerns around the increasing numbers, which he said are also occurring across Europe and the rest of the world.

    While no decisions have been taken, there is a growing expectation among some Cabinet ministers that the country will be moved to a higher level of alert in the coming days, but that it will fall short of the Level 5 for six weeks recommendation made by the NPHET.

  • Older and vulnerable people will be told to limit their time outdoors again, while indoor family gatherings will be reduced to just six.

    They're among the measures NPHET is recommending to the Government to combat a recent upsurge in Covid-19 cases.

    It comes as a further 56 cases were confirmed yesterday evening - which includes one further case in Co Galway.

    According to the Irish Independent, NPHET is recommended that older people should once again restrict their movements and avoid large gatherings.

    It's suggesting that the numbers permitted in a home are reduced to six to clamp down on house parties, while outdoor home gatherings should be cut to 15.

    It's also advising that people who can work from home should do so for the coming weeks.

    It comes as 56 new cases of Covid-19 were confirmed yesterday, with 322 cases identified since Saturday.

    18 people are currently being treated in hospitals for the virus, with eight confirmed cases in ICUs.

     

  • A GP advisor to the HSE says the number of new cases of Covid-19 is not as low as they'd like.

    265 more cases of the virus and six further deaths were confirmed yesterday.

    There were 15 new cases in Galway with less than five in Mayo, Sligo and Leitrim.

    There no new cases confirmed in Roscommon.

    The estimated 14-day incidence rate per 100,000 population is 78.

    It comes as restaurants and pubs that serve food reopened yesterday as Covid-19 restrictions ease.

    Dr Ray Walley says significant progress in suppressing the virus has been made in recent weeks.