Bus Eireann

  • Additional bus services from Galway to An Cheathrú Rua will come on stream from next September as a result of intense negotiations.

    That’s according to Galway West Fianna Fail TD Eamon O Cuiv.

    Deputy O Cuiv says currently, the last bus leaves Galway at around 6 o’clock in the evening; however there is demand for continuing services up until at least 11pm.

    Bus Eireann say they will introduce half hour frequency services on the An Cheathrú Rua to Galway service at peak commuter lines.

    There will also be three night services at 7pm, 9pm, and 11pm.

  • Bus Eireann has today announced changes to Route 52 - the service from Ballina to Galway - as this bus route will no longer service the towns of Swinford and Kiltimagh.

    The changes will come into effect from this Sunday 1st July.

     

    Bus Eireann says the revised Route 52 buses will travel from Ballina to Castlebar and onto Galway, with some changes also for other routes in Co Mayo.

    A new Route 421 will be introduced bringing passengers from Swinford, Kiltimagh and Knock to Claremorris, with connections from Claremorris to other services.


    Mayo Fianna Fail TD Lisa Chambers says she predicted this outcome earlier in the year, but Bus Eireann continually denied that services would be cut, and a review was underway to enhance services in Mayo.

    Deputy Chambers says today's statement from Bus Eireann confirms what she feared all along - that Swinford and Kiltimagh would be removed from Route 52.....

  • Bus Eireann has announced it will operate additional services on the 26th August for the visit of Pope Francis to Dublin and Knock Shrine.

    Over half a million people are expected in the Phoenix Park that day where the Pope will celebrate Mass, and Gardai are urging people to use public transport to travel to the capital.

    Bus Eireann is running a number of additional services to Dublin from across the country, with a 100% increase in capacity on that particular day.

    Pope Francis will also visit Knock Shrine on the morning of Sunday 26th August, and to cater for anticipated demand, Bus Eireann is operating additional services on the Route 44 from Westport to Knock and Athlone to Knock, Route 421 from Ballina to Knock and Route 64 which runs from Galway to Knock and onto Sligo.

    In addition, Bus Eireann will operate a bus shuttle from Claremorris train station to Knock.

    For those who have a ticket for the Pope's visit, the bus shuttle service will be free of charge.

    Further details are available on Bus Eireann's website.

  • Bus Eireann has announced a recruitment campaign to hire almost 200 people for jobs around the country.

    This includes 190 drivers and additional mechanic roles to service the ongoing expansion of the national network.

    The jobs will be in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Mayo, Waterford, Wicklow, Navan, Drogheda, Limerick and west Clare.

  • Bus Eireann has apologised to passengers, after a door fell off a bus in Co Mayo yesterday.

    Passengers on the 10am Sligo to Galway service were alarmed, when the door fell away from the bus near Charlestown, about an hour into the journey.

    Bus Eireann says no passengers were injured in the incident on Route 64 when the vehicle experienced a mechanical fault with the door.

    The company says the driver followed all safety procedures, and a replacement bus was dispatched to bring passengers on their journey to Galway, with a short delay.

    Bus Eireann has apologised for any inconvenience caused to passengers using the service yesterday morning.

     

     

  • A callout is going out to women today, to join Bus Eireann as bus drivers.

    The company's holding open days at its depots in Cork, Galway and Dublin during the day.

    It's also recruiting Apprentice Heavy Vehicle Mechanics this year and is encouraging applications from women.

     

  • Bus Eireann is introducing revised timetables from today for services across many routes, for those who need to travel during the Covid-19 crisis.

    The revised timetables are based on the current Saturday schedules on most routes, and full details are available on the Bus Eireann website.

    There's also reduced seat capacity on all services, and Bus Eireann is asking customers to engage in social distancing on board by avoiding the seats that are blocked off.

    Passengers are also urged to buy their ticket online or from a ticket machine, or to use their Leap card, to reduce cash usage.

    Irish Rail introduced a revised schedule of services last Monday on all routes, and says people should only travel by train if their journey is essential.

    The number of weekday train services between Westport and Dublin has been reduced to 4, while the number of return services from Dublin to Mayo is now 3.

     

  • A Castlebar Councillor is calling on Bus Eireann to install shelters at some of their bus stops - particularly those located just outside villages where passengers cannot shelter from harsh weather conditions.

    FG Councillor Ger Deere says bus stops in areas like Ballyvary and Kilkelly should have shelters installed, as it's unfair to see particularly elderly people standing in the wind and rain.

    Councillor Deere has written to Bus Eireann asking that they install bus shelters to provide a better service for their customers....

  • Bus Eireann is to hire thirty people in Galway and eight in Mayo, under a new recruitment plan announced by the company today.

     

    Over 200 people will be hired nationwide, as the company recruits additional drivers and mechanics to service the ongoing expansion of the national network.

     

    The jobs will be in Mayo, Galway, Dublin, Cork, Waterford, Wicklow, Navan, Deogheda, Limerick and west Clare.

     

    In Mayo Bus Eireann is looking at bringing in some additional services on Route 52 under the PSO – that’s the Ballina-Westport-Galway route and faster journey times.

     

    In Galway there will be increased services on Route 404 and Route 409.

  • Bus Eireann has returned to financial stability, and is today announcing ambitious plans for the future.

    The company achieved an operating profit last year of €1.6 million - compared with a loss of €6.8 million in 2017.

    It also reduced its deficit from €23.7 million to €6.7 million in the past year.

    Bus Eireann says the financial recovery was due to the implementation of over 60 businesses measures over the last two years, together with strong growth in passenger numbers -which are now at their highest since 2008.

    Bus Eireann carried 83.6 million passengers in 2018.

    The company says 102 new buses will be introduced countrywide this year - double decker buses will be introduced in Galway, Cork and Limerick cities with low floor accessible buses being introduced in Mayo, Galway, Sligo and parts of Donegal.

    250 new drivers have also joined Bus Eireann following a recent recruitment drive.

     

  • Bus Éireann wishes to advise customers that due to a Status Red weather warning all road passenger, school transport and Eurolines services remain cancelled today Thursday, March 01st.

     

    Based on updated weather warnings from Met Éireann, the company will not operate any services in Leinster and Munster tomorrow, Friday 2nd March. All Expressway inter-city services nationwide will also not operate.

    We apologise for any inconvenience to customers but road conditions will have to be assessed and safety is our priority.

     

    Given the reduced weather warning for Connacht, and parts of the West and Northwest, we may be able to operate some services in less affected areas tomorrow.

    However, this is very much subject to local road conditions and the level of treatment undertaken.

     

    We will review this situation in the morning and provide further information around midday with a view to a possible resumption of some services in the late afternoon or evening.

    We will provide a further update in relation to the operation of scheduled services from Saturday morning.

     

    Please see www.buseireann.ie for updates or @buseireann or @expresswayIRE on Twitter

     

  • One of the county’s oldest and most popular bus routes, has been significantly impacted by the new Bus Schedule Service announced last week by Bus Eireann.

    Route 52, that had always picked up passengers along the road between Ballina and Castlebar, particularly between Foxford and Castlebar,  has now become an expressway service. That’s according to Castlebar Sinn Fein councillor Joe McHale.

    He says its means that passengers who use the service between Foxford and Ballyvary and on through Chancery in Turlough, who had always been picked up along route, must now travel to either Foxford or Ballyvary to access the bus.

    Route 52 is also a Galway bus service from Ballina.

    The councillor says many people had depended on the route and it’s a significant change to the service.

    Speaking to Midwest News today councillor McHale said he is calling on Bus Eireann to immediately look at this new expressway service and think again about its impact on customers.

    Midwest News has contacted Bus Eireann and are awaiting a response.

  • A Donegal woman's collected nearly 4,000 signatures on a petition for wheelchair accessible buses.

    Victoria Matthew has discovered that she can't use public transport to travel to college in Sligo, because the local bus can't take her wheelchair.

    Bus Éireann has confirmed that Ballyshannon to Sligo is not a wheelchair accessible route.

    Victoria says she's aware that some wheelchair-friendly buses can be booked -  but even then, they exclude rural Ireland.

  • A Galway West TD has strongly criticised changes to the schedule of bus services from Galway to Cong.

    Fianna Fail TD Eamon O’Cuiv says the changes were made without a full consultation with local people.

    Deputy O’Cuiv says while he welcomes the fact that there will be a small number of additional services, changes to the timetable were brought in without any proper consultation with local people.

    He says the new service will also require passengers to change bus in Headford, which will increase the journey time.

    Deputy O’Cuiv has also suggested a local link bus service which could link Corr na Mona, Clockbrack and Clonbur to the service to Cong every morning and evening.

  • There is increasing concern among passengers who regularly use Route 52 Bus Eireann service that connects Ballina to Galway city that the service is now under threat.

    People in the areas of Swinford and Kiltimagh look set to be directly affected but so too will patients from north Mayo trying to attend hospital appointments in Galway.

    Bus Eireann is remaining tight lipped over its plans for the route.

    Listeners to Midwest News first expressed concerns about the service two months ago, and Midwest News contacted Bus Eireann who responded at that time, stating that the route is under review.

    Following further concerns about its future expressed by Midwest News listeners this week, we again sought a response from Bus Eireann.

    The brief response again reads:

     Bus Éireann has received a revised licence for Route 52 from the National Transport Authority (NTA), which it is currently reviewing.

    The company is working with the NTA – who have responsibility for the public transport network – on other proposals, to ensure connectivity remains in place.

    We have asked Bus Eireann when the review will be completed and we are awaiting a response.

  • Irish Rail is advising pilgrims travelling to see Pope Francis in Knock on Sunday to book their train seats as soon as possible, as availability is becoming limited.

    Seats are still available from Westport, Ballina and Athlone to Claremorris train station, and a shuttle bus will operate from the station to Knock Shrine.

    However, passengers travelling from Mayo to the Papal Mass in Phoenix Park are advised that all trains from Mayo to Dublin on Sunday morning are now sold out.

     

    Bus Eireann says there's limited availability remaining on special inter-city services for the visit of Pope Francis this weekend.

    Customers are urged to buy tickets online as soon as possible, as bookings will close on Friday afternoon.

    Bus Eireann is operating a number of special Expressway Intercity services to and from both Knock and Dublin City on Sunday, to facilitate extra demand.

    An extra bus on route 64 leaves Galway at 6am Sunday morning, stopping in Tuam and 6.32 and Ballyhaunis at 7.10am.

    An extra service leaves Sligo at 6am Sunday morning, stopping in Tubbercurry at 6.35 and Charlestown at 6.45.

    All return services will depart from Knock at 1pm.

    Tickets for these buses must be purchased in advance on www.buseireann.ie/popeinireland

    For those attending the Papal Mass in Dublin's Phoenix Park, extra buses are operating on Route 22 from Ballina, Swinford and Charlestown, Route 23 from Sligo, Boyle and Carrick-on-Shannon and Route X20 from Galway servicing Loughrea, Ballinasloe and Athlone.

    Again customers are advised to buy their tickets as soon as possible.

    All return services from Dublin will leave from Busáras at 7pm Sunday evening.

  • A Mayo Senator has questioned the National Transport Authority and Bus Eireann on the School Bus Transport Scheme.

    Sinn Fein Senator Rose Conway-Walsh says there are a number of issues arising from what she describes as the inflexibility of the scheme.

    Bus Eireann says the company is only taking instructions on how the scheme should operate from the Department of Transport.

    She raised the case of a student who is a valid medical card holder, and her parents were advised that she was eligible for a seat on the bus. However she cannot use a seat on the bus, as there is no room on it at present. Her siblings are currently travelling on this bus.

    Senator Conway-Walsh said she wanted to establish whose responsibility is it to ensure this girl has a seat on the bus. It was established that Bus Eireann need to get approval from the Department on this.

    She also raised the issue of the timings under which applications must be submitted for a place on such bus routes.

     

  • A Mayo Fianna Fail TD has expressed concern about new proposals from the National Transport Authority to privatise another 10% of Bus Eireann routes from 2021. She’s warning that measures must be put in place to ensure a continuity of service for rural Ireland.

    Deputy Chambers says the NTA began privatising Bus Eireann routes a number of years ago and are now proposing to tender a further 10% from 2021. She says it is an extremely premature proposal, especially since no examination of the current arrangement has been undertaken.

    Deputy Chambers says she would like to see assurances from the NTA that there will be no downgrading of services in rural areas as a result of the proposal and staff concerns also need to be addressed.

    Fianna Fail has brought forward a Bill to prevent further privatisation of bus routes and the legislation allows for a delay in the awarding of any new contracts until a full review of previous tenders has been completed.

     

  • Most public transport services are returning to a normal schedule today.

    Bus Eireann says the majority of their services have resumed but some delays are expected on certain routes.

    Irish Rail is operating most routes with the exception of a small number which are expected to return tomorrow.

    Ireland West Airport Knock is open and fully operational, as it was yesterday. So far this morning the Ryanair Stansted flight has landed and the London Luton service is due at 11.30am.

    The Luas Green Line will operate a limited service from 11am this morning while the Red Line is operating from the Red Cow to The Point.

     

    Dublin Bus services have resumed with some minor disruptions to schedules.

     

  • No Bus Éireann services will operate for the remainder of today, March 2 due to ongoing severe weather conditions and extremely challenging road conditions.

    This includes all city and town services, the Expressway intercity network, and Eurolines services to the UK.

     

    The company says it anticipates that we may be able to resume a level of services in some parts of the country tomorrow morning, dependent on the local road conditions.

    It aims to operate some services on the Expressway inter-city network, and possibly a level of regional city and town services, in less affected areas.

    However, there will not be any kind of full service schedule tomorrow due to difficult and dangerous road conditions in many parts of the country.

    Bus Eireann is apologising for the inconvenience but say safety of staff and customers is paramount.

     

    It will be providing updates from early morning tomorrow to local media and on www.buseireann.ie or@buseireann or @expresswayIRE on Twitter.