Tuam

  • An estimated 12,000 people are still without power this morning after Storm Ali on Wednesday.

    Two people died during the storm.

    A full service on the Luas Green line in Dublin has resumed this morning.

    It is understood the majority of those without power are in the Tuam, Mullingar, Cavan and Longford areas.

    Up to 180,000 homes were without power at one stage on Wednesday. Repair efforts were hampered by Storm Bronagh, which followed Storm Ali yesterday, and brought heavy rain across the country yesterday evening and overnight.

    Met Éireann meteorologist Joan Blackburn says they are  monitoring a weather system that may develop into a third storm, Storm Callum, late on Saturday evening.

    She says this system has the potential to develop into something “nasty,” which would hit Ireland late on Saturday into Sunday morning and this weather system is being kept under review.

  • The Association of Catholic Priests will hold a public meeting in Tuam this Wednesday evening, ahead of the Pope's visit to Ireland next month.

    This is one of four regional meetings being held across the country ahead of the Papal visit, asking what do we need to say to Pope Francis about the Irish Church ?

    Wednesday's meeting takes place at the Árd Rí Hotel in Taum from 7 to 9.30 pm.

    Fr Brendan Hoban, who will speak at the meeting, says it's open to everybody to make a submission, and a summary of the meeting will be forwarded afterwards to Pope Francis via the Papal Nuncio to Ireland.

  • The author of a new book about the Tuam Mother and Baby Home says time is running out for truth and justice.

    'My Name is Bridget' documents the life of one woman who entered the home in her twenties, in 1946.

    Journalist Alison O'Reilly says Bridget Dolan died without answers - and delays to the final report of the Commission of Investigation are unacceptable.

  • Campaigners say the state could be in breach of international law for its involvement in the Tuam Mother and Baby Home.

    The Irish Council for Civil Liberties says the crime of 'Enforced Disappearance' involves a state refusing to disclose the whereabouts of people who've been abducted.

    It's thought hundreds of children were secretly buried on the Tuam site.

    Thousands of children were also thought to have been illegally adopted through homes nationwide.

  • It’s disappointing to discover that the HSE run nursing home Aras Mhuire in Tuam has had its registration lapsed. That’s according to local Fianna Fail Councillor Donnagh Killilea. The Councillor says however, that HSE management has assured him that the re-registration process is now underway.

    At a recent HSE West Forum meeting, Cllr Killilea, a member of the forum sought information on the new residential facility on the site beside the Primary Care Centre in the town, asking if a design team has been put in place for the development.

  • Galway East deputy, Sean Canney says he’s more disappointed than angry at the Independent Alliance group for not honouring a hand shake agreement on the rotation of the portfolio, of Minister for the OPW.

    The Tuam based deputy and Kevin Boxer Moran flipped a coin when this coalition government was formed, to decide who would take on the position first and it was understood that it would rotate on a twelve month basis.

    But the present position holder Minister Kevin Boxer Moran refused to hand it back as the third year of the coalition got underway last month.

    Members of the Alliance backed Minister Moran staying on.

    Sean Canney spent two week considering his position and this morning announced he is leaving the group.

    He has also confirmed he'll continue to support the government in confidence and budgetary matters.

    Speaking to Midwest News today deputy Canney explained why it took him two weeks to decide on this move.

     He said he did not want to react hastiliy, and preferred to confer with his supporters.

    They met last night and agreed he would exit the group.

    He says he was elected as an Independent and he believes he can now serve his constituents best as an Independent.

    He says it is up to the Taoiseach now, if he is to retain his position as Assistant Government Whip.

     

     

  •  

    There’s good news for the Educate Together schools in Castlebar and Tuam, as the Department of Education has agreed to lift the cap on enrolment numbers.

    A campaign had been underway by five Educate Together schools across the country to lift the restriction the Department had imposed of 13 junior infants in the new school year.

    The schools argued that this policy would restrict their growth.

    Educate Together has now welcomed the Department’s deicision to lift the enrolement restrictions and allow all five schools in Castlebar, Tuam, Trim, New Ross and Tramore to develop into 8 classroom full-stream schools.

  • An event will take place this Friday to mark the beginning of demolition at Gilmartin Road in Tuam.

    The road is due to undergo an €8m rejuvenation project from Friday, which will involve the demolition of 30 old houses and the construction of 40 new homes.

    21 council houses at Gilmartin Road and St Enda’s Avenue will also be refurbished as part of the project.

    The event will take place on Friday from 12 noon at Gilmartin Road and will see councillors attend to see the demolition of the first of the houses.

    Chairman of Tuam Municipal District Fianna Fail Cllr Donagh Killilea told Midwest News that it is a historic day for the town.

  • Fianna Fail's education spokesperson has welcomed news that five Educate Together schools have been given the green light to expand to normal size.

    Deputy Thomas Byrne says it's good to hear agreement has been reached with the Department over the schools in Tramore, Trim, New Ross, Tuam and Castlebar.

    But he's concerned that site restrictions are still in place at some of the schools.

    Deputy Byrne says the Government 'spins' a lot about increasing multi denominational education, but he's worried the reality of the situation is completely different.

  • Funeral arrangements have been confirmed for the late Tommy Varden from Tuam.

    Mr Varden was a well-known businessman and long time sponsor of the Galway senior footballers.

    He passed away on Tuesday night aged 79, following a short illness.

    Mr Varden’s remains will repose at Glynn’s Funeral Home, High Street, Tuam, on Friday evening from 5-8pm.

    He will be laid to rest on Saturday in Tuam Cemetery following 11am Funeral Mass i the Cathedral of the Assumption, Tuam.

  • The funeral will take place in Dublin on Saturday of Tuam-born playwright Tom Murphy, who passed away in hospital on Tuesday night.

    Many tributes have been paid to the Galway playwright, who worked closely with the Druid Theatre and Abbey Theatre.

    His remains will repose at his home in Rathgar, Dublin tomorrow evening from 4-8pm.

    A Humanist Service in celebration of his life will take place on Saturday morning at 11am at the Mansion House in Dublin, followed by private cremation.

    Tom Murphy is survived by his wife Jane and first wife Mary, two sons Bennan and Johnny, his daughter Nell, grand-daughter and extended family.

     

     

  • The government now needs to enact the Information and tracing Bill. That’s the call today from Tuam based Fianna Fail deputy Anne Rabbitte.

    Nearly two thirds of children affected by yesterday’s adoption revelations are unaware that they are adopted.

    It was revealed yesterday that thousands of people may have had false birth certs issued by adoption agencies.

    Between the 1940s and 1960s St Patrick's Guild illegally listed some couples as birth parents, despite the fact that they had adopted children.

     Tusla is starting to contact those affected and an investigation is getting underway, with fears that the figures could run into the thousands.

    Deputy Rabbitte is the Fianna Fail Spokesperson on Children and Youth Affairs.

    Speaking on the Tommy Marren Show this morning she said this government now needs to immediately enact the Information and Tracing Bill that would give everyone a right to acquire their birth cert.

    Tuam based historian, Catherine Corless who led the campaign that exposed the Tuam Mother and Baby home scandal, says that as disturbing as it is for those impacted by the present adoption scandal, some consolation can be taken from the truth finally being exposed.

     Speaking to Midwest News she acknowledged the work of the present Minister Katherine Zappone in taking action on the adoption scandal that is not "new news" to successive governments.

  • Gardaí in Tuam are appealing for public assistance in locating 45 year old Michael Cunniffe, who is missing from his home in Tuam, since Saturday night last, (7th April). 
    Michael was last seen when he left work from Parkmore Industrial Estate in Galway late last Saturday night.  He is described as being 5' 6" in height, of medium build with short brown hair. When last seen he was wearing a maroon hoodie, black jeans and white runners. 
    He is believed to be driving his car, a black Seat Ibiza, registration number 06 D 6792.
    Anyone who can assist in locating Michael is asked to contact Tuam Garda Station on 093 70840, The Garda Confidential Telephone Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.

  • Gardaí are looking for help in finding a missing 16 year old from Tuam, Co Galway. 

    Diane Limsipson was last seen on the 6th of July.

    She is described as being 4 foot 11, with black hair, of slim build and brown eyes. When last seen she was wearing a grey top/hoodie and ripped black jeans and white shoes.

    Gardaí believe that she may have travelled to the UK.

    Anyone with information is asked to contact Gardai.

  • The Irish Cancer Society has announced emergency funding so that women directly affected by the CervicalCheck controversy can have free counselling in their own community.

    Funds will be made available for an additional 500 counselling sessions in 25 Irish Cancer Society-affiliated Support Centres across the country, including Mayo Cancer Support Association, Castlebar in Mayo, Roscommon Cancer Support Centre and Tuam Cancer Care Centre. The society has taken the step in response to the significant increase in the numbers of women seeking advice and support from the charity around CervicalCheck and their smear test results.

    The announcement brings to 8,000 the number of free counselling sessions for people affected by cancer which the Irish Cancer Society will provide funding for in 2018.

    Donal Buggy is Head of Advocacy at the Irish Cancer Society and told Midwest News this evening that this is important additional funding for counselling services.

  • A man, who was reported missing from the Tuam area of Co Galway yesterday, has since been located.

    Gardai issued an appeal last evening, seeking information on the whereabouts of 61-year old Thomas Kelly, who had been missing from his home in Tuam since 9am yesterday morning.

    His family were concerned for his safety.

    Tuam Gardai have confirmed this morning that Mr Kelly has since been located safe and well.

     

     

  • Members of the Independent Alliance have asked Sean Canney to clarify his position in the party.

    Mr Canney is thought to be unhappy that he won't be getting his junior ministry back after swapping roles with his colleague Kevin Boxer Moran.

    While other members of the Alliance are annoyed at Canney for voting against Shane Ross' drink driving bill last night.

    Minister John Halligan was tasked this afternoon with asking Sean Canney whether he plans to stay in the Alliance or not.

     

     

  • The Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Dr Katherine Zappone is to visit Tuam on Monday evening next.

    During the visit she is expected to take time listening to the views of people on the future of the site of the Tuam Mother and Baby Home.

    Speaking ahead of the visit Minister Zappone said:

    “As I prepare to make a recommendation to Government on the future of children’s remains and the site of the former Mother and Baby Home in Tuam, I am anxious to have another opportunity to hear first-hand the views of people affected.

    The consultation by Galway County Council as well as legal and expert advice will help inform my decision. However I do firmly believe that all voices must be given an opportunity to be heard.

    The Minister will hold a meeting at 7pm at the Ard Rí House Hotel, Milltown Road, Tuam, Co. Galway next Monday.

    Minister Zappone has extended an invitation to all those who believe they have yet to be heard and those who wish to support previously express views, to attend.

    Minister Zappone said that notwithstanding the complexities surrounding the future of the site, it is important that the decisions which are taken are just, credible and transparent.

    Next Monday’s gathering is another step to ensure we achieve those goals.”

  • Members of the public will be asked to join a new collaborative forum, as part of the Mother and Baby Homes' investigation, which includes the former Bon Secours facility in Tuam.

    The Childrens' Minister updated the Dail last night on the delay to the final report from the Commission of investigation, which is now due in February 2019.

    Ahead of that, Minister Katherine Zapponne says she'll be advertising for interested parties to join a project covering issues of concern for former residents.

    Sinn Fein has expressed concern over delays to the final report. The party spokesperson Denise Mitchell says if the commission needs extra resources, the Government must ensure that it is provided.

  • Tuam is to get a new houses and apartments complex.

    John Connell has been granted planning permission to demolish an existing derelict house and commerical building at Tullinadaly Road.

    The new development will be a semi-detached block of two houses and two apartments, each containing two bedrooms.

    County planners have granted planning permission for the Tuam development subject to 8 conditions.

    One condition stipulates that the balconies must be 1.8 metres high and built using a block wall.

    This development is on top of another 140 houses which was granted planning permission under the strategic infrastructure planning.

    Galway based Independent TD Sean Canney says there is a scarcity of residential property in Tuam but he says the town is now on the cusp of major development in the coming years.