Stephen Rochford

  • The resignation of Stephen Rochford as manager of the Mayo Senior football team is “disappointing and a shock”, according to GAA commentator Martin Carney.

    He told Midwest Radio this morning that over the weekend it was understood that Stephen would stay on and it was rumoured that he had planned to bring in former Mayo player Peter Ford, who had previously managed Galway and Sligo, and Shane Conway into his new management team.

    It is understood however, that at a meeting of the Mayo County Board's Executive committee on Sunday, members did not endorse Rochford's new management team.

    At about 6pm yesterday Stephen issued a statement announcing his decision to step down.

  • A committee has been put together to put a process in place to appoint a new manager to the Mayo Senior Football team.

    That was confirmed by Mayo GAA in a tweet last night, following an executive meeting last night.

    It follows the resignation of Stephen Rochford from the position on Monday evening. Rochford said in a statement that he did not feel he had the desired level of support for him as manager from the Mayo GAA executive.

    James Horan is the current favourite for the job, followed by Jim McGuinness and Mayo U20 manager Mike Solan.

  • Donegal GAA has confirmed that Stephen Rochford is joining the senior football team’s backroom staff.

    In a statement this afternoon Donegal GAA says that Karl Lacey, Anthony McGrath and John McElhome are leaving the backroom team and former Mayo manager Stephen Rochford is joining Declan Bonner’s coaching staff for 2019 along with Aaron Kyles.

  • The executive of Mayo County Board is set to meet later this week to begin the process of finding Stephen Rochford's successor after Rochford stepped down on Monday evening.

    Kevin McStay appears to be out of the race to manage his native county with Roscommon's P-R-O Hugh Lynn telling the Irish Daily Star that McStay will remain in charge of the Rossies for 2019.

    James Horan and Jim McGuinness are reportedly the front runners for the Mayo job, although it is believe McGuinness will stay involved with soccer,  with Mayo U20 manager Mike Solan also on the list of potential candidates. He managed the Mayo U21’s to an All-Ireland title in 2016 and to the All-Ireland Final in the U20 competition earlier this summer.

     

  • Stephen Rochford has resigned as manager of the Mayo Senior football team.

    He confirmed in a statement yesterday evening that he was stepping down.

    Following Mayo's early exit from this year's championship, he had indicated that he would be staying on.

    However, three members of his management team - Donie Buckley, Tony McEntee and  Peter Burke - did step down.

    Over the weekend it emerged that Stephen had planned to bring in former Mayo player Peter Ford, who had previously managed Galway and Sligo, and Shane Conway into his new management team.

    It is understood that at a meeting of the Mayo County Board's Executive committee on Sunday, members didn't endorse Rochford's new management team.

    At about 6pm yesterday Stephen issued his statement.

    "After a meeting of the Mayo GAA Board's Executive Committee last night (Sun) , held to discuss the management team I had assembled to manage Mayo senior men's team in 2019, the board issued a statement saying they wished to meet the management team and me about our structure and plans.

    "It was apparent from what transpired at that meeting that the desired level of support for me as manager was not forthcoming from the Executive Committee. This disappoints me greatly.

    "Accordingly, I see no value in meeting with the officers of the board and I am resigning my position as Mayo manager. I thank all those who supported me during the past three years, two of which saw Mayo come so close to winning the All-Ireland title.

    "Like all Mayo people, I enjoyed the good days when the team won and suffered the disappointments when the results didn't go our way. It was a great privilege to manage the Mayo team.

    "The 2018 season was a disappointing one for all involved, and for our supporters. However, I had every confidence that our new backroom team had the capacity to build on the progress of previous years and drive the team on in 2019.

    "In particular, I thank the players, backroom team, spouses and partners, family members, our team sponsors Intersport  Elverys, the county board, the clubs and the Mayo supporters worldwide who turned out in huge numbers to support us during the three years and who lent financial backing to the team.

    "A special word of thanks to my wife, Laura, and our children, and both our families, for their support and forbearance at all times.

    "I wish all who will wear the Mayo jersey in 2019 and beyond every success and I look forward to supporting the footballing fortunes of the county."

     Speaking to Newstalk last night about the manager’s decision to step down, former Mayo midfielder David Brady said Stephen owed nothing to Mayo football.

  • Former Mayo manager James Horan has played down speculation linking his name with the vacant manager’s job.

    Speaking to today’s Daily Star, Horan says that that he has other things on his mind at the moment.

    He says that inter-county management is incredibly demanding and says that having already done a four year stint previously with Mayo, you have to be careful that it doesn’t take over your whole life.

    Horan says it is not an easy gig and you have to be totally committed to have any chance of making it work. He says since stepping down, he has done various other things, including managing Westport who have reached the last eight of the Mayo Senior Championship.

    He is also finishing a Masters in Coaching through UCC.

    Horan says a return to inter-county management hasn’t been on his short-term radar.

    He told the paper that while his name has been linked with the job since Monday, it wouldn’t be fair to Westport to get drawn into any speculation.

    He also said there is no point in going into inter-county management unless you are fully confident you can do things the way you think they should be done and if he ever was to go back, he wouldn’t do so unless that was the case. He says that is not the environment at the moment.

     

  • The officers of Mayo GAA have today been informed by Stephen Rochford that he is stepping down as manager of the Mayo Senior Football team.

    Statement by Mike Connolly, Cathaoirleach, Coiste Chontae Mhaigh Eo

    We sincerely thank Stephen Rochford for all the hard work and commitment he has given to Mayo GAA since he was appointed in 2015. Stephen has given an enormous amount of service to Mayo and has given us as supporters many great days on the pitch.


    Since he become senior team manager he has been involved in three great years for Mayo GAA. He has brought Mayo to two All Ireland finals, losing both by the narrowest of margins. We wish him and his family all the best for the future and thank him for all he has done for Mayo GAA.

  • Mayo County Board has confirmed to Midwest Sport that a meeting of the Executive is due to take place this evening. It is understood the meeting is being held to discuss and rubber stamp Stephen Rochford's management team for the new season. 

    It is reported that former Galway and Sligo manager Peter Forde and Shane Conway will link up with the team, alongside Stephen Rochford and Joe Keane. 

    It is expected the final lineup will be put before a full county board meeting in the coming days. 

     

  • Mayo GAA has confirmed in a tweet this evening that following a meeting of the Executive earlier, that the officers of the board were authorised to meet with Stephen Rochford and his management team on their structures and plans for 2019. 

    It follows reports that Peter Forde and Shane Conway are to join Rochford's backroom team for 2019. 

  • Mayo have reportedly sounded out former Kerry boss Jack O'Connor about becoming their next senior football manager.

    The Irish Mirror says Mayo officials have approached O'Connor about succeeding Stephen Rochford - while he's also in the running for a third spell as manager of his native Kerry.

    While two of the leading contenders to become Mayo manager have distanced themselves from the position.

    Former Donegal boss Jim Guinness wants his next career move to be a management position at a soccer club.

    McGuinness says he's open to working in Ireland, England or further afield.

    James Horan feels the time is not right for him to have a second spell in charge of Mayo.

    But he's not ruling out another term in the future.

  • The penultimate round of the Allianz Football league takes place tomorrow as Mayo host Tyrone in Elverys MacHale Park.

    Following a win on the road last weekend in Kildare Stephen Rochford makes two changes to his starting with Seamus O'Shea & Michael Hall replacing Tom Parsons & Cillian O'Connor. Mayo's last win in MacHale Park over Tyrone in the league was back in 1992, Mayo did however beat Tyrone when teams met at the same stage in Omagh last season.

    Throw-in tomorrow in Elverys MacHale Park is 2pm:
    1. Rob Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. Caolan Crowe - Garrymore
    3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4. Eoin O’Donoghue - Belmullet
    5. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    6. Lee Keegan - Westport
    7. Michael Hall - Breaffy
    8. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    9. Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11. Aidan O’Shea - Breaffy
    12. Diarmuid O’Connor - Ballintubber
    13. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    14. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
    15. Adam Gallagher - Mayo Gaels

  • Donegal GAA are expected to confirm the appointment of former Mayo manager Stephen Rochford to the county senior set-up, according to Highland Radio. 

    Donegal boss Declan Bonner has moved quickly to replace Karl Lacey by bringing in Rochford as the new coach.

    Lacey stepped away after a year in the role, due to family commitments.

    Stephen Rochford stepped down as Mayo manager in August. 

     

  •  

    Mayo senior football manager Stephen Rochford looks set to be without some of the management team he's worked with for the past 3 seasons, if he returns next year.

    According to today's Mayo News, Donie Buckley and Peter Burke have informed the manager that they will be stepping down from their roles, while it's understood Armagh-based selector Tony McEntee is also unlikely to return for a 4th season.

    Stephen Rochford is expected to meet with Mayo GAA Bord chiefs next week to discuss his future plans.

    Last October, he was given a 2-year extension to his term as Mayo manager.

     

     

     

  •  

    Stephen Rochford looks set to continue as the Mayo Senior Football Manager according to reports in this week's Mayo News Sport.

    The 39 year old was said to have been considering his position following Mayo’s championship exit to Kildare in the All Ireland qualifiers.

    Former Donegal boss Jim McGuinness had been touted as a possible replacement, but Rochford is said to have informed the County Board that he will remain on and will meet with County Board officials in the coming weeks to plan for the 2019 season.

  • A Mayo County Board spokesperson has told Midwest Sport that Stephen Rochford remains as manager of the county’s senior football squad.

     Rumours have abound since late last night that Rochford may render his resignation. However following a query from Midwest Sport this afternoon, a county board spokesperson say he is still the manager.

     Last night Mayo County Board executive officers met and said after that meeting that officers had received authorisation to meet wit Rochford and his management team to discuss structures and plans for 2019.

     That meeting followed reports that Peter Forde and Shane Conway had been added to the backroom team.

     

  • Mayo manager Stephen Rochford admitted his team lost discipline during yesterday's Division 1 defeat to Galway.

    The manager said he was very disappointed, “but we lost our discipline and that's something we have to look at."

    Commenting on the incident that resulted in Cillian O'Connor being shown a red card, which means he will be suspended for the upcoming Dublin clash, Rochford said he had no qualms with referee Anthony Nolan's decision.

     

  • Check out our full interview with Mayo manager Stephen Rochford from Saturday evening as he came to terms with the end of Mayo's summer campaign after a 0-21 to 0-19 defeat to Kildare in St Conleth's Park, Newbridge.