OPW

  • It’s reported that Galway East TD Séan Canney and his Independent Alliance colleague Kevin Boxer Moran are involved in a dispute over who should be a Government Minister.

    The two made an agreement two years ago to rotate the position of Minister of State for the OPW between them.

    When the Fine Gael-led minority administration took office in May 2016, they decided by tossing a coin that Mr Canney should take the job first for one year, and Kevin Moran took over last June.

    However, the Irish Times reports that a dispute has now arisen between the two deputies, as the second anniversary of the Government taking office approaches.

    Séan Canney says the ministerial post should revert back to him, while Boxer Moran claims the agreement was that Mr Canney would have the job for one year only.

    The Independent Alliance is now considering holding a vote, which would effectively see the remaining members – Ministers Shane Ross, Finian McGrath and John Halligan – settling the dispute between their two colleagues.

     

  • Investment and upgrade work has been granted for the OPW building in Headford. 

    Independent TD Sean Canney says this is a huge boost of confidence for the town and also for the OPW remaining in Headford as the regional headquarters. 

    Deputy Canney says the OPW is a major employer in the town and services all of Galway, as well as going into Mayo and Roscommon. 

    He says the project will be a huge enhancement to the area. 

     

  • The Minister with responsibility for the OPW Kevin Boxer Moran has been invited to visit Ballymote Castle in Co Sligo, to explain why public access to the castle has been restricted over the past year.

    Ballymote Castle was built around 1300 and is one of the last Norman castles built in Connacht.

    Sligo Fianna Fail Councillor Keith Henry says a number of areas of the castle are closed off, due to safety concerns, and permission to enter is required in advance by emailing the OPW, which he claims is a backward step.

    Councillor Henry, who's a History teacher, says the castle is a great public amenity for locals and visitors, and should be fully re-opened to the public.

    He's awaiting a response to his invitation to Minister Moran to visit the castle

  • The OPW hope to start construction in mid-2019 on the bypass channel of the River Deel in Crossmolina.

    That's according to Mayo FG Senator Michelle Mulherin, who raised the issue at a meeting of the Oireachtas Climate Action Committee this week.

    Senator Mulherin urged the OPW to begin construction on the bypass channel as soon as possible, saying people in Crossmolina are very anxious and frustrated, and live in fear of further flooding.

    Previously, the OPW had indicated that it would commence the works late next year, but Senator Mulherin said this is not acceptable, and has now welcomed the earlier construction date of mid-2019.

  • The good news keeps on coming for the world renowned Céide Fields in Mayo. The centre, which celebrates its twenty-fifth anniversary this year was awarded the prestigious award, The International Carlo Scarpa Prize for Gardens, earlier in the year. 

    On Monday it was announced that the centre would be receiving over €1million in funding from the Fáilte Ireland and the OPW for upgrading the centre - you can find out more on that here http://bit.ly/2IF403C.

    With all of that happening we thought it would be an ideal time to head down and find out more about one of the jewels in the crown of the West of Ireland and the Wild Atlantic Way.

    Check out our video now.