Hassan Bilal

  • A Mayo businessman says he was left in “severe physical, mental and financial stress” after three men stole over €10,000 worth of catering equipment from his premises.

    The claim was made in a victim impact statement by Gerry Hughes , which was read out during the sentencing yesterday of one of the men, 38-year old Hassan Bilal.

    The court heard that Mr Bilal, a native of Pakistan, together with Yasir Ali (31) and Sabih Hassan had sub-letted the takeaway on Thomas Street, Castlebar, Mayo, without Mr Hughes's permission in January 2015, after Mr Hughes had initially rented out the premises to a different man the previous May.

    Detective Garda Declan Sweeney told prosecuting counsel Patric

    The court heard that Mr Hughes told the men he wanted them to leave, but they continued to run the takeaway for a number of months without paying any rent.

    They left the premises sometime between the end of April and May 19 2015.

    Mr Hughes went to Gardaí to report a burglary, after CCTV footage showed three men entering the takeaway and removing a considerable amount of equipment.

    Det Gda Sweeney said Ali eventually told Gardaí that the equipment had been stored in a shed at a farm at Hollymount, Co Mayo. It was recovered and returned to Mr Hughes.

    Hassan Bilal of Church Street, Tullamore, Co Offaly, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to burglary and theft of a catering equipment worth over €10,000 on May 18, 2015.

    He has 24 previous convictions for road traffic offences.

    Judge Elma Sheahan yesterday adjourned Bilal's case to May 27 and Bilal was remanded on continuing bail to that date.

    The other two men involved have already been handed down suspended sentences.