Circuit Criminal Court

  • A 54-year-old man, who smashed holes with a hammer in a temporary portakabin at the entrance to a garda station and then flung the hammer at a garda as she fled the area, escaped a prison sentence when he appeared before Judge Rory MacCabe at the Circuit Criminal Court in Castlebar today.

    Donal Corry of Knockaphunta Park, Castlebar, appeared for sentencing before Judge MacCabe having pleaded guilty at an earlier court to criminal damage at Castlebar Garda Station and assaulting Garda Olive Lafferty on December 5, 2017.

    Garda Lafferty sustained a cut to her chin from flying glass in the incident and afterwards attended the A & E unit of Mayo University Hospital.

    The court heard Donal Corry made a full admission when interviewed and claimed he had acted out of frustration over the way issues relating to his young daughter had been dealt with by Tusla and An Garda Siochana.

    In a victim impact statement which was read to the court on her behalf by Sergeant O'Connor, Garda Lafferty said she had put in 'absolute fear' by the incidents.

    After hearing the facts, Judge MacCabe said he would not impose an immediate custodial sentence.

    On the charge of causing criminal damage, he imposed a 12 months prison sentence suspended for five years, and imposed a fine of €500 for assaulting the Garda.

     

  • A woman told the Circuit Criminal Court, sitting in Castlebar, yesterday that she was sexually assaulted while asleep by a man who got into bed beside her.

    The alleged victim told Judge Rory MacCabe and a jury that she was awakened from a deep sleep in an apartment at a West of Ireland hotel by a man who was molesting her.

    She then said that, as the beside locker light was turned on by her husband who had come into the room, her attacker (whom she named in court) got out of bed with his trousers down.

    The accused has pleaded not guilty to a single charge of sexual assault.

    He cannot be named for legal reasons.

    The court heard that the alleged victim was one of an 8-strong group, which included her husband, who travelled to a west of Ireland town for a charity event in July 2015.

    The trial is expected to last a number of days.