Ballaghaderreen

  • As the Mayo under 20's prepare to face Derry in Carrick on Shannon in a historic All Ireland semi-final - a game which you can hear live on Midwest Radio with thanks to Salamancas Tapas Bar - we got the views of manager Mike Solan, free scoring full forward Ross Egan as well as marauding half back Paul Lambert. You can watch the interviews back now and don't forget to tune in from 4pm on Saturday for the full game live on Midwest Radio.

  • A seasoned Irish international and not even out of his teens, Ballaghaderreen's Adam McAllister is one of the hottest rising talents in Irish badminton at the moment. After winning a record three National titles in one day recently, Angelina McHugh caught up with Adam to chat about how he got started in the game, the issue of funding and training facilities for those in the West of Ireland, plus his hopes for the future once he gets the Leaving Cert done and dusted this June!

    Watch the full interview below now.

  • Adam McAllister and the Irish U19 Badminton team who are competing at the European Championships in Estonia. The Irish got off to a great start yesterday beating Slovenia 4/1 with Adam winning both his matches in singles & mixed doubles. Later in the day they took on Turkey, the seeded team in their group, but lost 4/1 with Adam winning the only match men’s doubles with Brian O’Mahony in a very tight 3 setter with a score of 23/21 in the 3rd. 

    Today they take on Austria & Cyprus.

  • Ireland finished the European Junior team championship on a massive high beating Cyprus 4-1. Earlier in the day the Irish lost out to Austria .    

    Ballaghaderreen's Adam McAllister did his country proud winning 5 out of the 8 matches he played in the Team Event to get the victories over Slovenia & Cyprus . They are now preparing for the Individual Event which kicks off this Tuesday.

  • East Mayo Centenary Cup Final 
    Ballaghaderreen 2-07
    Charlestown 0-9

  • Ballaghaderreen’s Adam McAllister won the Irish U19 National Badminton Championship yesterday in Lisburn.

  • The Brisbane Lions said farewell to teammate Cian Hanley today after the Category B Rookie decided to return to his homeland of Ireland.

    The 21-year-old made the difficult decision to part with the Club after experiencing personal challenges over the past 12 months. Hanley said it was the right decision for him to return home.

     “The club has been unbelievable, I’m very appreciative of what they’ve done over the last while. It’s no fault of theirs I’m going home,” Hanley told lions.com.au.

    “It’s just more me and personal reasons and I just think it’s the right time to go.” 

    Over the past few months, Hanley has had many discussions about his future with family, friends and the Club, working through all possible options to come to the best outcome for him and his family.

    General Manager of Football David Noble said the team will miss Cian's personality and tremendous work ethic. 

    “Cian has been one of our hardest workers over the last three years particularly, overcoming injury and personal adversity with such a professional attitude, it is very sad to see him go home. We will miss his infectious smile, his positive attitude and bubbly contribution to our Club. We wish him a safe trip back home to Ireland where he will reconnect with his family.” Noble said.

    Hanley followed older brother Pearce, a former Lion, to the Club in late 2014 after being selected with the 56th pick in the Rookie Draft.

    His first two seasons were crippled with injuries but in 2017 he played an important part in the NEAFL team’s premiership victory.

  • There was disappointment this morning in Estonia at the U19 Junior Championships for Ballaghaderreen's Adam McAllister and his partner Rachael Woods  The Irish lost out to a pair from Poland in a thrilling match with a scoreline of 22/20 21/17. 

  • One man has been arrested following a drugs seizure in Ballaghaderreen.

    The cocaine worth in the region of €35,000, was found at a residential address in Ballaghaderreen following a search carried out as part of an intelligence led operation on Thursday. 

    One man is being detained in Castlerea Garda Station in connection with the find. 

  • A Fine Gael Senator says the investment of 26m euro in the expansion of the Aurivo Dairy Ingredients plant in Ballaghaderreen is very positive news for the town.

    The investment in the Ballaghaderreen plant is part of a wider 5-year Capital Investment Programme.

    These developments will allow Aurivo to increase their milk production by 25% and their dairy ingredients capacity by 50%.

    The planned developments are being supported by Enterprise Ireland.

    Senator Maura Hopkins says the planned expansion is very positive for Ballaghaderreen and the surrounding area. She says Aurivo is already a very important employer in the town and wider region and it now has the potential to create further employment both during the construction phase and once the extended facility is up and running.

  • Fire brigades from Ballaghaderreen and Ballyhaunis battled gorse fires at Cloonfower last night.

    The fires, which stretched for about two kilometres, occurred between Castlerea and Loughglynn.

    Units from both areas tackled the fires into the early hours and brought them under control overnight.

    Ballaghaderreen Fire Brigade has thanked the public for their help and co-operation last night. 

  • The Fire Service attended the scene of a fire in Ballaghaderreen last night.

    The fire, which is believed to have broken out in the attic of a house on Barrack Street, occurred after 9pm.

    No injuries were reported and traffic restrictions were in place for a time last night.

     

     

  • At the Badminton U19 European Championships Individual event in Estonia Ballaghaderreen’s Adam McAllister & his partner Rachael Woods had a huge win & caused a major upset in their first round of mixed doubles beating the number 4 seeds from Netherlands in a tight 3 set game.

    The Irish pair lost the first game 21/13 & went on to win 21/19 in 2nd & 21/18 in the final set.

    Watch our interview with Adam from earlier in the year as he looked forward to the European Championships and more here 

  • A man was taken to hospital after being knocked down in Ballaghaderreen on Saturday night.

    The pedestrian was struck by a car in Pound Street at 9pm.

    The local man, who is aged in his late sixties, was brought to Mayo University Hospital in Castlebar for treatment, but his injuries were not life-threatening.

    Gardaí are treating the incident as a minor accident.

  • A Man was taken to Sligo University Hospital yesterday evening after he was involved in a two vehicle collision outside Ballaghaderreen.

    The crash occurred between two cars at Tallaghan, between the Bishop’s Palace and Edmondstown Cross, on the Ballaghaderreen to Gurteen Road.

    Its believed the man’s injuries are not life threatening.

  • Midwest Sport understands that former Mayo minor star and Ballaghaderreen native Cian Hanley is to return to Ireland in the coming days. Cian had been plying his trade with the Brisbane Lions in the AFL. Midwest Sport understands that Cian will return home in the next couple of days. 

    Midwest Sport also understands that Cian and his older brother Pierce have maintained regular contact with Mayo management over the past couple of years. 

  • A report in this morning's Irish Times says the Department of Justice has confirmed it will not renew a contract with the Abbeyfield Hotel in Ballaghaderreen, which has housed Syrian refugees for more than a year. 

    The contract with the Abbeyfield Hotel expires in December 2019 and the Department of Justice is said to have chosen four other premises across the State which it says are suitable for future use as reception centres. 

    However a Department of Justice spokesperson did not confirm the same information to Midwest News in response to a question yesterday. 

    Midwest News asked the Department a decision had been made on the future of the centre after the contract expires in December 2019 and if it was true the Department had chosen not to renew the contract with the Abbeyfield. 

    In response yesterday a spokesperson told Midwest News that the current contract for the EROC services in the Abbeyfield Hotel in Ballaghaderreen is due to expire at the end of 2019 and any discussion on its future at this time would be premature. 

    The two responses seem to be at odds. 

    The Irish Times reports today that the Department confirmed the Abbeyfield Hotel was not successful in its application to be considered for future use, once its current contract ends. 

    The Department told the paper it would not be appropriate to specify the reasons for non-qualification but stressed that a failure to qualify in no way invalidates the current contract for EROC services in any existing centre. 

    The current contractor of services at the hotel is Irish company Next Week & Co Ltd, whose directors are listed as Laurent Salmon and John Crean. 

    The Department said it was unlikely in the extreme that persons currently resident in the Ballaghaderreen EROC would still be there in December 2019. 

    The Abbeyfield was chosen in January 2017 to act as an Emergency Reception and Orientation Centre for the mostly Syrian refugees for two years. 

     

     

  • Respond Housing has purchased 12 houses in Ballaghaderreen.

    These are 12 three bed houses which will be home to 12 families from the social housing list in Roscommon.

    These 12 houses represent just over one fifth of the 55 households who have expressed a preference to live in Ballaghaderreen.

    While offers have been made to some families, Respond will host a viewing day for people who have offers to live in the new houses and those who have been nominated for the local authority. This viewing day will take place on March 26th.

    Respond expects that people will begin to move into the houses in early April.

  • St Joseph’s Day Care Centre in Ballaghaderreen will close at the end of July.

    That was confirmed to local public representatives at a meeting with HSE officials in Galway today.

    There had been uncertainly over the future of the centre earlier this year and an assessment was carried out.

    Public representatives were told that the assessment indicated the unit was not suitable for use by the patients serviced by it.

    The 18 patients who use it will now be bussed to Boyle to the Day Care Centre there.

    Ballaghaderreen Sinn Fein Councillor Michael Mulligan told Midwest News it is an unacceptable development.

  • St Joseph’s mental health daycare centre in Ballaghaderreen has not closed today but it is understood the HSE is carrying out needs assessments on each service user attending the day centre currently.

    The assessments are being carried out to establish how best their individual needs will be met and once they are completed, a detailed plan will be developed.

    The HSE is understood to have informed local public representatives that no closure of the facility, if that is the decision arrived at, will not happen until alternative services are provided in the area.

    Local Fine Gael Senator Maura Hopkins told Midwest News earlier this week that she has concerns over the future of the facility.